This is perfect tea time snack from state of Gujarat. If you use fresh methi leaves then it enhances its flavor more. You can substitute fresh methi with dried methi (fenugreek) leaves. You can serve it with pickle or chutney. But I like to eat this with yogurt. If you are making it first time then you have to keep in mind that its sticky dough and you have to be gentle while rolling it. Because of millet flour (bajra flour) it will not be perfect round, you will get rough edges unlike roti or paratha. Practice is needed for rolling dhebra.
Eggless red velvet cupcakes recipe with cream cheese frosting
For making curdled milk (Instead use ¾ cup of buttermilk):
- ¾ cup Milk at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon White distilled vinegar
For eggless red velvet cupcakes recipe:
- 1 cup All purpose flour (Maida)
- 3 tablespoons Corn flour (corn starch) packed
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Liquid red food color
For baking soda, vinegar fizzy mixture:
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon White distilled vinegar
For cream cheese frosting:
- 6 oz Cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Butter softened at room temperature
- 1 cup Powdered sugar (Confectioner’s sugar or icing sugar)
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- To make curdled milk, take milk and white vinegar in a bowl.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes on countertop.
- Within this time, milk will be curdled. Instead of this mixture, you can use buttermilk.
- While the mixture is resting, prepare the muffin pan by lining the cupcake liners. Keep it aside.
- Also preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C for at least 10 minutes.
Making eggless red velvet cupcakes recipe:
- Take all dry ingredients (all purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder) in a bowl. (NOTE: Instead of all purpose flour and corn flour, you can use 1 ¼ cups of cake flour).
- Whisk it well till everything is incorporated well. Keep it aside.
- In another large bowl, take softened butter. Add white sugar.
- Using spatula, keep mashing and mixing both. (you can use stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer too)
- You will get sand like texture because here we are using less fat compared to sugar.
- Now add vanilla extract and red food color. Again mix well.
- Now add above prepared curdled milk. Using whisk, beat well.
- Now sift the dry flour mixture into the wet mixture bowl.
- Now using the whisk, start mixing it. half way through switch to spatula. Do not overmix it. Beat it till you see everything is incorporated well.
- To make the fizzy mixture, take baking soda and white distilled vinegar. From this step you need to work quickly.
- Add vinegar to the baking soda. It will starts to fizz up, stir once.
- Immediately add to the batter. Quickly mix it into the batter.
- Now divide the batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake into preheated oven for 23-25 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cupcake. If it comes out clean meaning cupcakes are ready.
- Remove it from the pan and keep on cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Then remove them from the pan and arrange them on cooling rack and let them cool completely.
Making cream cheese frosting:
- take softened cream cheese and butter in a bowl.
- If doing by hand like me, use the spatula and start mashing and mixing till you get the smooth, paste like mixture. You can use hand mixer or stand mixer with whisk attachment.
- Now add powdered sugar. Again beat it or mix it using spatula.
- Then add vanilla extract and mix. If you have mixed by hand using spatula, you will notice that frosting is too thick and heavy.
- Now switch to wire whisk. Keep beating vigorously for around 5-6 minutes.
- You will notice the frosting will get soft, smooth and fluffy. It should have spreadable consistency.
- Now fill up pastry bag or ziplock bag and start piping the frosting on cupcakes.
Here’s the handy dandy printable:
- ½ bunch or 2 cups Fenugreek leaves (methi leaves) washed and chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 teaspoons Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 2 teaspoons Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 3 Green chilies chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 cup Bajra flour (Millet flour)
- ¼ cup Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta)
- 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- ¼ teaspoon Sooji (rava or semolina)
- 5-6 tablespoons Plain yogurt (dahi or curd)
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl mix fenugreek leaves, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chilies, sesame seeds, chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida. Add oil and mix well. Set aside for 5 minutes and let the fenugreek leaves soften a bit.
- Add millet flour, chapati atta, gram flour, semolina and salt. Mix well using your finger so fenugreek mixture will incorporate well with flours. It will look crumbly texture.
- Add tablespoon yogurt at a time and knead to form soft dough. (You will need 5 or 6 tablespoon of yogurt depends on your flour or depends on your yogurt (watery or thick). So add little yogurt at a time so will come to know how much you need). Cover it and let it stand for 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, knead it again to make it smooth.
- Divide it into 10 equal portions. Roll each portion between your palm and press into a circle.
- Dip the flattened ball into dry chapati flour and coat well. Roll it gently in to circle about 6 inch in diameter. (If you need to than you can use dry flour while rolling but don’t use more than 2 times otherwise end product will be dry.)
- Heat the skillet on medium heat.
- Once hot placed rolled dhebra on the skillet. When you see bubbles on it flip it. After few seconds apply some oil on it and flip it again and press gently using spatula and cook until you see some brown spot on bottom side.
- Apply some oil again on other side and flip and cook on that side.
- When done take it out from skillet and put in insulated container to keep it hot.
- Repeat same procedure for rest dhebra.