This is the instant version of making doodh peda recipe or milk peda Recipe. Peda is the popular and traditional sweet recipe from India. It is usually made from the khoya (mawa). But in this instant method we are using condensed milk and milk powder.
❤️Why I Love This Peda Recipe
You’ll need 5 ingredients only (3 are main + 2 flavoring).
In the step by step photos of making milk peda recipe, I have used microwave. Though you can cook on stovetop (detailes mentioned below).
It takes only 3-4 minutes of cooking time. Then few minutes to let it cool down to touch and few minutes to shape them. So in total (from start to finish) you will need only 10 minutes to make peda.
Here is the pic of the ingredients used in making this doodh peda recipe. 3 ingredients (condensed milk, milk powder and butter) are the main. Rest 2 (cardamom and saffron) are used for flavoring.
Please, please always use full fat milk powder. In USA, we get only nonfat one in American grocery stores. You will find full fat one in Indian grocery store. Many times it is labeled as mawa powder.
👩🍳How To Make Peda In Microwave? (Stepwise Pics)
For your reference - my microwave has 1400 watt power. So adjust the cooking time as per your microwave power.
1) Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl for few seconds only.
2) Add milk powder.
3) Add condensed milk and mix really well.
4) Take milk and saffron in a small bowl and warm it up for few seconds. Saffron will infuse it’s flavor and color. Keep it aside.
5) Microwave the peda mixture for 1 minute. Remove it and stir.
6) Again microwave it for another 1 minute.
7) Now add saffron infused milk and cardamom powder.
8) Mix well.
9) Again cook for 1 minute.
10) Mix well and keep it aside to cool down to touch.
11) Once you are able to handle the mixture, grease your palm with little ghee and start shaping peda.
12) If using any peda stamp to make design on top then use that. Or you can garnish it with chopped almonds or pistachios.
🥣 Storage Instructions
It stays good for 3-4 days in airtight container in the fridge. Make sure to store in single layer in the container. If you are stacking them on top of each other, then make sure to line a parchment paper between them to avoid sticking.
🍽 Serving Ideas
- Peda are usually made or bought during festivals like diwali, raksha bandhan, holi and many more.
- It is offered to God during pooja and then distributed to devotees.
- When we are sharing any kind of good news (having a baby, passing the board exams) to our friends and family, we usually offer a box of peda as a gift.
- There are many other occasions when peda is the most used/eaten sweet
Stove Top Method:
- Mix all the ingredients except cardamom powder in a pan.
- Cook this on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes or till the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan. do stir continuously to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Remove it to a plate and let it cool to touch and then shape into peda
Check Out Other Diwali Sweets Recipes
PS Tried this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback! Plus, Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all the latest updates.
📋 Recipe Card
Peda Recipe (Doodh / Milk Peda)
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 ¾ cups Full fat milk powder (aka mawa powder)
- 1 (14 oz) can Sweetened Condensed milk
- few strands Saffron
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- Warm up the milk and saffron mixture in microwave for few seconds and then rub between finger and thumb. So saffron releases its flavor and color into the milk. Keep it aside.
- Melt the butter in a large bowl in microwave.
- Then add milk powder and condensed milk, mix well.
- Cook for 1 minute in microwave, stir well.
- Again cook for 1 minute.
- Then add saffron milk and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Lastly cook for another 1 minute, mix.
- Let it cool to touch and then shape into peda.
- Decorate with peda stamp or garnish with chopped almonds or pistachios.
Zavera J Kanga
Can you freeze these?
Never tried freezing.
My wife just made the microwave version and it turned out delicious and delectable! Thank you, Kanan, for this amazingly simple and quick Doodh Peda recipe!
Very glad to know that peda came out good.
Thank you for the feedback.