Sabudana Chivda Recipe - Nylon sabudana are fried till crispy and puffy, then mixed with nuts, salt, pepper, sugar and green chilies. This makes good snack for navratri vrat or any other Hindu fasting days.
Here I have added peanuts and cashew nuts. You can also add raisins, dalia (roasted chana dala), almonds etc as per your preference and liking.
These fried nylon sabudana is bland in taste but they are real crispy. Even though the real taste is bland, it tastes good after adding salt, sugar and pepper. Sugar plays a big role, please do not skip it.
If your family eats red chili powder, amchur powder during vrat, fasting. Then you can add them for more flavors.
For the variation, you can fry handful of sun dried potato sali and add into the chivda.
How to make Sabudana Chivda Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil for deep frying on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add peanuts in it.
2) Fry them till they are light golden brown in color. Then remove it to a large bowl.
3) Next add cashew nuts.
4) Fry similarly till they are light golden in color.
5) Remove it to a same bowl.
6) Now it is time to fry the sabudana. NOTE: these are Nylon Sabudana which have larger pearls with transparent white color. These are not the regular sabudana that we soak and use in making khichdi, vada or thalipeeth.
7) Add around 2 tablespoons of nylon sabudana into the hot oil.
8) Within some seconds, they will float on top, puff up and looks they are fried. But they are not. It takes some time. If removed from the oil early then it stays raw and hard from the center. So take your time and keep moving them in the oil for even frying and cook till they are fried well.
9) Once ready remove them from the oil and dump them into the same bowl with nuts. To check if it is fried well or not, you have to eat and taste one.
10) Similarly fry rest of the sabudana in batches. It fried them in 4 batches.
11) While they are still hot add salt, sugar and black pepper powder.
12) Quickly mix them well.
13) Now heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small tadka pan. Once hot add chopped green chilies.
14) Fry chilies till all the moisture is gone from chilies and they becomes crisp.
15) Add this chili oil into the chivda.
16) Mix well.
Let it cool down completely and then store in container or serve. It stays good for 1-2 weeks in airtight container.
Serving suggestion: Serve this sabudana chivda as a snack during hindu fasting (vrat) e.g. navratri vrat, ekadashi, gauri vrat, maha shivratri etc.
- ¼ cup Peanuts
- ¼ cup Cashew nuts
- 1 cup Nylon sabudana (NOT regular one that used for khichdi)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar powdered
- Rock salt (Sendha namak) to taste
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Oil + more for deep frying
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
Making sabudana chivda recipe:
- Heat the oil in a kadai or pan for deep frying on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot fry in peanuts and cashews one by one till they are light golden brown in color. Once fried remove it to a bowl.
- Next fry the sabudana in batches till they are fried well. It looks crisp, puffed up and ready, but they are not, so take your time and fry till they are cooked from the center.
- Remove it and collect into the same bowl.
- While they are still hot or warm, add salt, pepper and sugar. Mix everything well.
- Now heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a tadka pan. Once hot fry green chilies till they are crisp and there in no moisture left.
- Add this oil into the chivda and mix.
- Let it cool down completely then serve or store.