Tikka masala spice mix is the unique blend of spices specially used in making many veg and non-veg tikka masala dishes. Once you try this homemade spice blend, you’ll never go back to store-bought one.
❤️You’ll Love This Recipe
No blender/grinder is required. You’ll need all the ready spice powders, mix and it is ready.
You’ll need only 10 spices. Many of them are already available in your Indian pantry.
Much better than store-bought: Because homemade is preservative-free and no artificial color added.
Scalable: You can easily double or triple the recipe as per your requirements.
Here is the pic of 10 spice powders required to make an easy homemade tikka masala spice mix. The detailed amount is mentioned in the recipe card below.
Kashmiri red chili powder: This verity is mildly spicy but adds a bright red color to the dish. Hence no need to use any artificial food color.
Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves): Try crushing them slightly using your fingers or palm before mixing them into a spice blend. This way it releases its flavor and aroma.
Roasted cumin powder: You can make it at home if you have cumin seeds handy. Dry roast the cumin seeds until aromatic and slight color change. Once cools down grind into a powder.
Garam masala: I have used my homemade garam masala powder here. You can use a store-bought one as well.
Fennel seeds powder: Just grind the fennel seeds into the powder.
🥣 Storage & Shelf Life
- It must be stored in an airtight container or jar.
- Keep the jar in a cool dry space, away from sunlight.
- I am using these spice jars to store my spices.
- It stays fresh for 6 months depending on the climate where you live. In humid weather, it doesn’t stay fresh for longer compared to dry, cold weather.
- Always use the clean and dry spoon to take the required amount of spice powder.
- Moisture is the big enemy when it comes to shelf life, so make sure to use the clean dry jar to store and make sure that spoon is not wet while using the masala.
🍽 How To Use In The Recipes
Tikka masala spice mix is used as a marination spice blend in making many tikka recipes e.g. paneer tikka masala, aloo tikka, chickpea tikka masala, mushroom tikka, fish tikka, chicken tikka masala, etc.
Use around 1-2 tablespoons of tikka masala spice blend for 2-3 servings of the dish.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.
📋 Recipe Card
Tikka Masala Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons Kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon Roasted cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Chaat masala
- 2 teaspoons Fennel seeds powder
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- Take all the spice powders in a bowl.
- Mix everything until well combined.
- Store in an airtight glass jar or container.
- Storage: Store in a dry, clean airtight container and keep in a cool, dry space away from sunlight.
- Shelf life: It stays good for 3-4 months.
- How to use: Use around 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons of masala for 2-3 servings of the dish. It is added along with other marination ingredients.