Veg Kofta Recipe – cooked mixed vegetables are mixed with spices and besan, then formed into balls and deep fried till crisp and golden brown.
These kofta’s outer later is real crisp while the inside is soft and melt in your mouth kind. So this can make a very good party snack or appetizer.
Make them into small bite sized balls, fry them and insert a toothpick. Arrange them on a platter. This makes eye catching party snack.
If making big batch or preparing for big crowd then you can make the kofta mixture, shape them a day before, cover and keep in the refrigerator. At the day of serving, bring it to a room temperature and then deep fry.
I have used this vegetable kofta to make veg kofta curry which has creamy, delicious gravy.
How to make Veg kofta Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) To steam pressure cook the veggies, take glassful of water in the cooker and put the rack inside. Now take all the vegetables (carrot, peas, potato, cauliflower, beans) in a steamer pan and put that on the rack. Make sure that steamer pan is not touching the water.
2) Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on and turn the heat on medium. Let it cook for 2 whistles and then turn off the stove. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
3) Remove cooked veggies to a bowl and let it cool down slightly. Then mash it using potato masher.
4) Keep them chunky, not completely mashed or pasty.
5) Now add chopped green chili, cilantro, salt and spice powders (red chili powder, garam masala, chaat masala).
6) Also add besan.
7) Mix well, it will be sticky but should not be too soft, you should be able to form a ball. If needed you can add more besan. The besan quantity depends on the how much moisture your veggies has.
8) Now grease your palm with some oil and shape into balls. This quantity will give you 12 medium sized kofta.
9) Now heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, slide few balls in and fry them. Keep turning them couple of time for even browning.
10) Once they are golden brown and crispy, remove it to a paper towel lined plate. Similarly fry rest of them.
Enjoy vegetable kofta hot/warm.
Veg Kofta Recipe (How to make Vegetable Kofta Recipe)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- ¾ cup Carrot chopped
- ½ cup Green peas
- ½ cup Potatoes peeled and cubed
- ¾ cup Cauliflower (gobi) cut into florets
- ½ cup Green beans (French beans) chopped
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Chaat masala
- 5 tablespoons Besan (gram flour) more or less as required
- Oil for deep frying
Steam pressure cook the veggies for 2 whistles or till they are soft.
Instead you can cook them in microwave.
Or steam them in a steamer.
Making Vegetable Kofta Recipe:
Take cooked veggies into a bowl and slightly mash them using potato masher.
Add rest of the ingredients and make a sticky yet no so soft mixture.
Grease your palm with oil and start shaping into the balls.
Heat the oil on medium heat for frying and fry them till they are golden brown and crisp from all the sides.
Then remove it to a paper towel lined plate and serve hot or warm.