Semiya Upma Recipe – This vermicelli upma is a quick and easy to make breakfast dish. I have added few vegetables to make it wholesome and healthy. Though you can skip the veggies and use only onions to make it plain.
Here I have roasted the vermicelli aka sevai first and then used in making upma. If you are using the ready roasted vermicelli packet then this recipe will be ready more quickly.
To make this vermicelli upma non-sticky and fluffy, the water and semiya ratio should be right. Also you have to cook till all the water is absorbed. So that you will get soft and fluffy texture.
Here no spice powders are added still it tastes too good, you have to give it a try. To get the spicy flavor, I have added little extra green chilies. Adjust it as per your preference.
Other than having as a breakfast, many times I make this a light dinner meal.
How to Make Semiya Upma Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add vermicelli.
2) Keep stirring constantly and roasting till it gets light brown in color.
3) Once roasted remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
4) In the same pan add remaining oil. Once it gets hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
5) Then add urad dal and cashew nuts.
6) Keep stirring and roasting till both gets light brown color.
7) Now add ginger paste, green chili and curry leaves.
8) Mix and saute for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
9) Then add onions and mix.
10) Cook till onions get soft and translucent or light pink in color.
11) Now add rest of the veggies (carrot, peas, capsicum and tomatoes).
12) Add salt and mix well.
13) Cover and cook till veggies are soft and tender. It took me 5 minutes. If it is sticking to the pan then you can sprinkle some water and continue cooking.
14) Now add water.
15) Bring it to a boil.
16) Once started rolling boil, add roasted vermicelli.
17) Mix well and cover the pan.
18) Cook this covered for 5-6 minutes or till all the water is absorbed.
19) Lastly add chopped coriander leaves.
20) Fluff up the upma and mix.
Remove it to a serving bowl and serve.
Serving suggestion: have this semiya upma as a breakfast or evening snack. This can be packed into lunch box or can be enjoyed as light meal.
Semiya Upma Recipe (How to make Vermicelli Upma Recipe)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 cup Vermicelli (Semiya or Sevai)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
- 6-8 Cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 2 small Green chili finely chopped
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- ½ cup Onion sliced
- ¼ cup Carrot chopped
- ¼ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) chopped
- ¼ cup Green peas
- ½ cup Tomato chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 ¾ cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add sevai, keep stirring and roasting till it is light brown in color.
- Once done remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
- If using ready made roasted vermicelli then skip this step.
Making Semiya Upma Recipe:
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan on medium heat and add mustard seeds.
- Once they pop, add urad dal and cashews. Saute till they are light brown in color.
- Now saute in ginger paste, green chili and curry leaves for 30-40 seconds.
- Then add onion and cook till soft and translucent.
- Now mix in all the veggies along with salt and cook till they are soft.
- Then add water and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Once started boiling, add roasted sevai, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or all the water is absorbed.
- Lastly add chopped coriander leaves and serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving