Bhindi kadhi recipe – One of my childhood favorite dishes that my mom makes it very often. First okra is sauteed till they are cooked and then simmered in spicy, sour and thick yogurt gravy. We call it Bhinda ni kadhi in Gujarati language.
Bhindi kadhi has thicker consistency unlike the Gujarati kadhi and like punjabi kadhi. This kadhi is thick enough that you can have it with paratha or roti. But if you prefer thinner gravy then you can add little more water and adjust accordingly.
For making this always use sour yogurt just like we use while making Punjabi or Gujarati kadhi.
What to expect from this bhindi kadhi: creamy, thick, spicy, slightly sour, delicious, homey and healthy.
The red chili powder is used to make it spicy along with green chilies which makes it different from Gujarati kadhi in terms of taste, flavor and color.
Also the proportion of yogurt and besan in both kadhi is different. In bhinda ni kadhi more besan is used which make it little thicker in consistency.
Apart from this kadhi, my mom makes green onion kadhi during the winter season.
How to make bhindi kadhi (Step by Step Recipe with Photos):
1) To clean the okra, wash them and let it dry or wipe them with kitchen or paper towel. Trim the head and tail of okra. Slice them. As you slice knife will get sticky, wipe it clean with paper towel and keep chopping. NOTE: there is no reason for cutting the okra diagonally. I did this way because it will look pretty.
2) Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add okra, sprinkle some salt and let it cook uncovered.
3) It took me 15-17 minutes. As okra gets cook, it will shrink and becomes darker in color.
4) Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
5) While okra is cooking, Take yogurt in a bowl, add besan, salt, sugar, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
6) Whisk it well so there are no lumps of flour.
7) Add water and make lump free thin batter.
8) Heat the oil in the same pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
9) Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
10) Then add cinnamon stick and cloves, saute for a minute.
11) Saute in chopped ginger paste,green chilies and curry leaves for a minute.
12) LOWER the heat, add yogurt and besan mixture. Use your hand to stir using spatula. So yogurt will not curdle.
13) Let it come to a boil.
14) Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
15) Mix in the okra.
16) Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes only (do not simmer for longer otherwise okra will get too soft and mushy). If kadhi gets too thick then add little splash of water.
17) Lastly add chopped cilantro and turn off the stove.
18) Stir and kadhi is ready to serve.
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 15-20 Okra (Bhindi) cut into pieces
- 1 cup Plain yogurt (dahi or curd), Sour
- 2 tablespoons Besan (gram flour)
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Green chilies chopped
- 3-4 Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Clean the okra, trim the head and tail. Slice the okra.
- Keep cleaning the knife at regular intervals as it gets sticky while slicing the okra.
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add okra with some salt.
- Cook uncovered till okra gets cooked.
- remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
- Take yogurt in a bowl, add besan, salt, sugar, turmeric and red chili powder. Mix well so there will be no lumps.
- Then add water and mix.
- Heat the oil in the same on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then saute in cinnamon stick and cloves.
- After that ginger paste, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add yogurt mixture and stir the mixture as you add, so yogurt will not curdle.
- Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Then add okra and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally stir in chopped cilantro.
- Then turn off the stove.