Vrat wale aloo ki sabji recipe – This is potato side dish made in the pressure cooker for vrat or fasting.
Peanuts are added in the recipe. It gets boiled along with potatoes in the cooker. So peanuts become soft yet slightly crunchy. This adds a nice crunch to the dish.
This vrat wale aloo can be eaten on any other fast as well like Ekadasi, Maha Shivratri, Janmashtami, Navrtari, Gauri vrat, Santoshi Mata vrat, etc.
Navratri is just started by today. It is 9 nights and 10 days festival. In this festival, people worship the ‘Matarani’. And many devotees observe the fast on these 9 days. I also keep the fast and on the first day, I have made this aloo ki sabzi and rajgira paratha as a meal. It was filling meal.
How to make Vrat wale Aloo ki Sabji?
1) Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle then add chopped green chilies and saute for a few seconds.
2) Add cubed potatoes. Mix it.
3) Then add peanuts, rock salt (Sendha namak) and red chili powder. Mix well.
4) Add 1 cup of water. Stir it well.
5) Cover the lid, put the weight on. Let it whistle 2 times on medium heat. Then turn off the stove. Let the pressure go down by itself and open the lid.
6) Using back of your spatula, mash few of potatoes for a thicker gravy. Add lemon juice, mix and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
Vrat ke aloo ki sabji is ready to serve.
As it cools the gravy will thicken. If it is rested for an hour or so, all the gravy will be absorbed by the potatoes.
- During the vrat, it can be served with rajgira paratha or kuttu ka paratha.
- It can be served with rajgira puri, singhare ki puri or kuttu ki puri.
Vrat wale Aloo ki Sabji (Vrat ke Aloo Recipe)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Ghee (Clarified butter)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- 2 cups Potatoes washed, peeled and cubed
- Rock Salt (sendha namak) to taste
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped for garnishing
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Then add chopped green chilies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add cubed potatoes, peanuts, salt, and red chili powder. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water. Stir it well.
- Cover the lid, put the weight on. Let it whistle 2 times on medium heat. Then turn off the stove.
- Let the pressure go down by itself and open the cover.
- Using back of your spatula, mash few of potatoes for a thicker gravy.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.