Bread Vada Recipe - Deep fried dumplings are made from bread slices, yogurt, rice flour and onion. This is delicious and indulging snack that goes perfect with cup of hot tea or coffee. During the rainy season or winter, I love to have this vada.
These are crispy from outside and soft from the inside.
This bread vada recipe is different from the usual one (which is made with bread and potatoes aka bread bonda). I do make it another way sometimes just like my mom. But few months back I came to know about the recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor’s cooking show. And thought of giving it a try and it is just fantastic. So I am sharing it here today.
Here I have used brown bread. You can use white, wheat, whole grain or potato bread whatever you have available at that time.
I have not trimmed the edges of the bread as I do not mind eating it. But original recipe was calling for trimmed bread slices.
The dark and burnt looking spots on the bread vada (in main picture) is because of the edges of the bread. Yes vadas are not burnt., it gets darker color from edges. So if serving for guests I would say trim the edges otherwise leave it in like me.
How to make bread vada recipe?
1) Take bread pieces in a bowl.
2) Add onion, green chilies, ginger paste, cilantro, curry leaves and salt.
3) Add rice flour and mix well.
4) Start adding yogurt and mix it with hand.
5) Mixture should be moist and if you pinch small portion together it should come together like a ball. If it does not come together then add little more yogurt. But be careful after some time bread soaks the yogurt will become soft and if you press it, it will come together.
6) Grease your palms with oil very well and shape into vadas.
7) While shaping the vada, heat the oil for deep frying in a pan on medium heat. Also line a plate with paper towel.
8) once oil is hot, drop the one vada at a time. do not touch for a minute otherwise it will break and will absorb too much oil. Fry few avadas at a time.
9) Once it is golden brown from one side, flip and cook other side as well. Once vada is golden brown and crispy from all the sides then remove it to a paper towel lined plate using slotted spoon.
Serve hot/warm bread vada. As it sits, it starts to get soft and soggy.
- 5 slices Bread cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup Red onion finely chopped
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup Rice flour
- ½ cup Plain yogurt Make sure not to add too much water part
- Oil for deep frying
Making Bread Vada Recipe
- Take bread pieces in a bowl.
- Add rest of the ingredients except oil.
- Mix well using your hand and it should be moist and if you pinch small portion together it should come together like a ball.
- Grease your palms with oil very well and shape into vadas.
- Meanwhile one other side, heat the oil for deep frying in a pan on medium heat and also line a plate with paper towel.
- once oil is hot, slide few vadas into the oil and fry both sides till they are golden brown and crispy.
- When ready remove it to a paper towel lined plate using slotted spoon.
- repeat the same for rest.