Gobi Shimla Mirch Sabji Recipe or Capsicum Cauliflower Sabzi Recipe – a very healthy and homey dry vegetable dish. Best serve with roti or chapati. Or serve as a side with dal-rice.
Cauliflower is one of the vegetables that I have that in my fridge all the time. If it is about to finish, immediately I add that to the shopping list for next weekend grocery shopping.
As per the sabzi name, main ingredients are cauliflower and green bell pepper. So basically gobi=cauliflower and shimla mirch=bell pepper or capsicum. Onion-tomato is also added to the dish which adds some texture and taste.
As you can see, all the healthy ingredients are used. thus, you can make this subzi on an everyday basis.
Cauliflower: In the USA, it is available all year around and I have never faced any problem of having bugs or worms in it.
But in India, when cauliflowers are not in season you need to be very careful and need to check it properly for the bugs. It is like the very annoying process to check each and every floret. So here is my mom’s trick How to clean cauliflower – separate the florets, take enough warm water in a bowl, mix in salt and turmeric powder. Soak the florets in this water for 10-15 minutes. If it has worms then it will float on the surface of the water. remove them and wash and rinse the florets again well.
Capsicum (bell pepper or Shimla mirch): Here green bell pepper is used. For the variation, you can add red pepper or yellow pepper or combination of any. The sabzi will looks so colorful and eye catching. I love capsicum, have you tried my capsicum curry recipe?
Kasoori Methi: This recipe calls for the good amount of dried fenugreek leaves. This gives really nice flavors and gives an extra kick to the flavors. So don’t even think of skipping it.
How to make Gobi shimla mirch ki sabzi (Step by step recipe with photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan, once hot add cumin seeds let them sizzle a bit.
2) Mix in chopped onions and sprinkle some salt to speed up the cooking process.
3) Cook the onions till it becomes translucent or light pink in color. we do not want to brown them.
4) Add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chilies. cook for 30 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
5) Mix in cauliflower florets, add remaining salt.
6) Cover and cook them till 50% done.
7) Then add capsicum and tomatoes. Mix well.
8) Add turmeric powder and red chili powder.
9) Mix well so all the masala coats the veggies. Cover the pan and cook.
10) cook till cauliflower is cooked all the way through and becomes tender. it should be soft but still hold the shape of florets. Stir in between to make sure it is not sticking.
11) Lastly, add kasoori methi and garam masala.
12) Mix well and it is ready to serve.
If not serving right away then keep the pan covered, so it stays warm for some time.
Gobi shimla mirch sabzi recipe (Capsicum Cauliflower Sabzi)
For gobi shimla mirch sabzi recipe:
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 Green chilies chopped finely
- 2 ½ cups Cauliflower (gobi) cut into bite size florets
- 1 cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) cut into cubes
- ½ cup Tomato chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
Making capsicum cauliflower sabzi recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan, once hot add cumin seeds let them sizzle a bit.
- Mix in chopped onions and sprinkle some salt. Cook the onions till it becomes translucent and soft.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chilies. cook for 30 seconds.
- Mix in cauliflower florets, add remaining salt.
- Cover and cook them till 50% done.
- Then add capsicum and tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and red chili powder. Mix well so all the masala coats the veggies. Cover the pan and cook.
- cook till cauliflower is cooked all the way through and becomes tender and soft. Stir in between to make sure it is not sticking.
- Lastly, add kasoori methi and garam masala. Mix well
- Turn off the stove.