Cabbage paratha recipe - HEALTHY, EASY paratha made by adding grated cabbage and few spices directly into the dough. This is perfect as a breakfast or light meal.
Cabbage is one of our favorite vegetable. You will find it in my fridge all year around. I make this paratha usually during the weekends as a brunch. Apart from this I make the cabbage sabzi or sambharo at least once a week.
There are two methods of making cabbage paratha recipe. The one is I am sharing today where cabbage is added directly into the dough. This is the easy version and prepared quickly.
For this method, you need to keep in mind the one thing. NEVER let the dough rest for more than 10-15 minutes. Since we are adding raw cabbage and salt is added into the dough. It will start to release its water. So the dough will get soft and sticky. And later it will be hard to roll the paratha.
The second version is the stuffed paratha. Where the stuffing is cooked before and then stuffed into paratha. This is little elaborated process.
This can be packed into the lunchbox with a side of raita or yogurt. Make sure not to re-heat into the microwave otherwise they will get hard and chewy. It will still taste good at room temperature without re-heating,
If making this Jain dish, please skip the ginger.
How to make cabbage paratha recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take roughly chopped cabbage, ginger and green chilies in a processor jar.
2) Pulse it till it is minced. Alternately, You can chop the ginger and green chilies finely. And grate the cabbage using box grater.
3) Now take atta in a bowl. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and kasoori methi to that.
4) Mix well till incorporated.
5) Add minced cabbage mixture, salt, oil and chopped coriander leaves.
6) Mix thoroughly using your fingertips.
7) Now start adding little water at a time and knead into a smooth, soft dough. I have used ½ cup + 2 tablespoons of water. It may need more or less. So always start with little, keep kneading and adding the water. Cover it and let it rest for 10 minutes. Not more than that otherwise cabbage will starts to leaves its water and dough will become more soft and sticky.
8) Divide it into 16 equal portions. Make smooth balls and flatten them between your plam to make disc one by one.
9) Work with one disc at a time. Dust both the sides into dry flour and take onto rolling board.
10) Roll into 6 inch diameter circle. During the rolling, you may dust it with dry flour only once or twice. Do not over do it otherwise the end product will be dry and chewy.
11) Heat the tawa or pan on medium heat. Once hot place rolled paratha.
12) Cook for few seconds, you will notice few bubbles on top. That time flip it and cook other side similarly.
13) Now apply little oil all over the surface and flip.
14) Cook by giving gentle pressure using spatula till it gets golden brown spots on bottom side.
15) Again apply oil on this side and flip.
16) Similarly cook other side till cooked and no more raw doughy part appear.
Remove it from the tawa and keep in the insulated container. Don’t forget to line the container with paper towel to absorb the moisture. Repeat the same for rest.
Serving suggestion: Serve this as a breakfast with chunda, pickle or hot cup of tea, coffee. To make it a light meal, this can be served with raita (cucumber raita, carrot raita, spinach raita) or plain yogurt.
Cabbage paratha recipe
Chop finely or use food processor:
- 1 ½ cups Cabbage chopped
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 Green chilies
For cabbage paratha dough:
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta) + more for dusting
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- a pinch or ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Oil + more for cooking paratha
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons Water
- Take roughly chopped cabbage, ginger and green chilies in a processor jar.
- Pulse it till it is minced.
- Alternately, You can chop the ginger and green chilies finely. And grate the cabbage using box grater.
Making the dough:
- Now take atta in a bowl.
- Add all the spice powders and mix well.
- Add minced cabbage mixture, salt, oil and chopped coriander leaves. Mix thoroughly using your fingertips.
- Now start adding little water at a time and knead into a smooth, soft dough. It may need more or less than mentioned.. So always start with little, keep kneading and adding the water.
- Cover it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Making cabbage paratha recipe:
- After resting time, divide it into 16 equal portions.
- Make smooth balls and flatten them between your plam to make disc one by one.
- Work with one disc at a time. Dust both the sides into dry flour and roll into 6 inch diameter circle.
- Heat the tawa or pan on medium heat. Once hot place rolled paratha.
- Cook both side with little oil till they get light brown spots and no more raw doughy part appear.
- Remove it from the tawa and keep in the insulated container.
- Repeat the same for rest.