Carrot rice recipe - this is mildly spiced rice dish made very quickly. This is very easy and simple to make.
If you have cooked rice ready or leftover rice then it will be ready in only 20 minutes from start to finish. Grating the carrots will take some time. If making big batch then use the food processor.
Once all the ingredients are ready, sauteing part will not take much time. Because carrots will get cooked in minutes only, mix spices and rice. lastly add lemon juice and coriander leaves. It is that simple.
This carrot rice has touch of sweetness from the carrots of course. And it has very slight tang from the lemon juice. These two flavors combined makes the dish fantastic.
Many rice dishes I make for hubby’s lunch box, this carrot rice is one of them. I always keep cooked rice in my fridge. If sometimes hubby needs to leave early in the morning, I go for this one or vagharelo bhaat.
It takes me only 15 minutes to pack his lunch box. On those days, I have enough time in morning then I make roti-sabzi for him.
I like the sesame seeds in the rice. Alternately you can use peanuts or cashews as well.
Step By Step Photo Instructions:
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
2) Then add sesame seeds. They will also pop.
3) add chopped green chili and curry leaves. Saute for 30-40 seconds.
4) Then add grated carrots.
5) Sprinkle the salt and mix.
6) Cook for 2-3 minutes only.
7) Then add turmeric powder and garam masala.
8) Mix well and cook for a minute.
9) Add cooked rice,
10) Also squeeze the lemon juice
11) add chopped coriander leaves.
12) Mix well, it masala coated with rice and everything is mixed very well. Cook for few minutes, till the rice is heated through. Then turn off the stove.
It is ready to serve.
Serving suggestions: Serve as such along with roti-sabzi as a meal. It is good to pack in kid’s or adult’s lunch box.
Did you try this carrot rice recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a review in the comment section below.
📋 Recipe Card
- 1 cup Cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- ½ cup Carrots grated
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
- Then add sesame seeds. They will also pop.
- add chopped green chili and curry leaves. Saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Then add grated carrots. Sprinkle the salt and mix.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes only.
- Then add turmeric powder and garam masala. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add cooked rice,
- Also squeeze the lemon juice add chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well, it masala coated with rice and everything is mixed very well.
- Cook for few minutes, till the rice is heated through.
- Then turn off the stove.