This cabbage rice is a simple, satisfying dish packed with Indian flavors like curry leaves, red chili powder, turmeric powder, peanuts, and dry coconut.
This Indian cabbage pulao is easy to make and requires only 15 minutes (if you have cooked rice ready). This is the perfect recipe if you want to use your leftover rice.
My favorite Cabbage Rice Recipe!
Over the years, I have tried many different Indian rice dishes (including pulao, biryani or simply masala rice) and this is one is my recent favorite. I keep some cooked rice in the fridge and whip up this cabbage pulao quickly in the morning to pack into the lunchbox.
I think the key to the best cabbage rice is using perfectly cooked basmati rice. Follow my ‘how to make basmati rice’ method and you will get perfectly cooked, fluffy, separated rice grains every single time.
I’ve probably made this rice 20-25 times. It’s a regular in our home and actually my hubby’s favorite. Once you try it chances are it will become a staple recipe in your home too!
How to make Cabbage Rice Recipe?
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop. then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2) Then add peanuts, dried red chilies, and curry leaves. Saute for 20-30 seconds, peanuts will get a light golden color and you will get a nice aroma of curry leaves.
3) Then add turmeric powder and hing.
4) Immediately add shredded cabbage and sliced bell pepper. Also, add salt.
5) Mix everything well. And cover the pan and continue cooking.
6) Cook till cabbage and bell pepper are soft (yet not mushy). You may need to open the lid and stir in between to make sure that it is not sticking to the pan.
7) Then add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and desiccated coconut. Mix really well and cook for a minute.
8) Then add cooked rice.
9) Mix really well till everything is incorporated well. And cook for 2-3 minutes or till the rice gets heated through.
10) Lastly, squeeze fresh lemon juice and mix.
11) Garnish with chopped cilantro.
What to serve with cabbage pulao?
- It tastes good on its own without any side.
- It can be served with plain yogurt or raita e.g. cucumber raita, mint raita, onion tomato raita.
Cabbage Rice Recipe (Indian Cabbage Pulao)
- 3 cups Cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts
- 2 Dried red chilies
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 ½ cups Cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 tablespoons Desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon Lemon juice or Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- Use the leftover rice or cook the basmati rice beforehand and let the rice cool down before using in the recipe.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. As soon as they start to crackle, add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add peanuts, dried red chilies, and curry leaves. Saute till peanuts are light golden in color.
- Then add cabbage, bell pepper, and salt, mix well.
- Cover and cook till veggies are soft and tender.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and desiccated coconut. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add cooked rice and mix really well. Cook for 2 minutes or till the rice gets heated through.
- Lastly, add lemon juice and cilantro, stir and serve.
- Instead of bell pepper, you can add other veggies like green peas, julienned carrots.
- Or skip the addition of other veggies and use cabbage only.