Coriander Rice or Cilantro rice Indian style recipe - very flavorful and colorful looking rice dish with lots of vegetables. Very healthy and nutritious rice recipe. This can be packed to lunch box.
The paste is made from coriander leaves along with ginger, garlic and green chilies. This paste is added while cooking the rice. So the cooked rice gets nice green and appetizing color.
Green chilies is the only spicy ingredient added to it, so adjust the quantity accordingly. If making for kids then use less chilies. I and hubby like it spicy so I have added 2 green chilies.
To make it more nutritious and healthy, few vegetables like carrot, green peas, cauliflower and potato are added. Use any veggie that you like or skip any that you don’t like. You can add green beans, baingan, tendli, broccoli etc.
Coriander paste is added while cooking the rice which gives bright green color to the cooked rice. No dry spice powders require to make this coriander rice. Few whole spices are added in the oil which makes it so fragrant and mild flavored rice.
This coriander rice is good for lunch box (kids or adult). Pack some yogurt or raita or pickle on side to make it a meal. Once in a week I need to pack for him as he loves it with plain yogurt and papad on side.
This recipe is adapted from Tarla Dalal’s cookbook. Pressure cooker is used for making coriander rice. This way it will be ready in jiffy. However if you do not have small pressure cooker like mine, then you can make in the pan as well. Method is mentioned in the recipe Notes below.
How to make Coriander Rice Recipe?
Coriander rice recipe (Cilantro rice recipe or Coriander pulao)
For coriander paste:
- ¾ cup Cilantro or coriander leaves packed
- 2 small Green chili
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Water
For coriander rice recipe:
- ¾ cup Basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Green cardamoms
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay leaf
- ¼ cup Onion sliced
- ½ cup Potatoes cubed
- ½ cup Cauliflower (gobi) cut into bite size florets
- ¼ cup Green peas
- ¼ cup Carrot chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 ¼ cups Water
Preparation and making paste:
- Wash the rice under running cold water till water runs clear, Soak in enough water for 15 minutes.
- After the soaking time, drain the water and keep rice in colander.
- Meanwhile chop all the veggies and make coriander paste. Take all the paste ingredients with 2 tablespoons of water into grinder jar.
- Make smooth paste out of and keep it aside.
Making coriander rice recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Now oil is hot add cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Let it saute for a minute.
- Then add sliced onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add rest of the veggies along with salt.
- Mix well.
- Add prepared paste.
- Stir well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add drained rice.
- Stir and saute for a minute
- Add water and stir.
- Cover the pressure cooker with lid, put the weight on and turn the heat on HIGH and let it whistle for 2 times then turn off the stove.
- Let the pressure go down by itself and open the pressure cooker.
- Fluff up the rice grains using fork very gently and serve.