Mushroom Matar Recipe or Matar mushroom curry - Sauteed mushrooms and boiled green peas are simmered in creamy, spicy onion-tomato gravy.
Mushrooms are also known as Kumbh or Dhingri. So it is called kumbh matar curry or dhingri matar recipe.
I have added cashew paste to make it creamy and little rich. It is healthier option than adding heavy cream. This is Vegan mushroom matar curry.
My family including me love any kind of curry or gravy recipe. So I make many different curry recipes very often. So you will see many on the blog. This mushroom matar curry is one of my favorites.
This mushroom mutter gravy is typical North Indian gravy. It is made from onion and tomato. it is spiced up with regular spices. Addition of kasoori methi gives the unique taste to it.
Just like other vegetables, these mushrooms are also healthy and nutritious, good for our body. So I always include them in our diet by making many different recipes. But this matar mushroom recipe is on top. You should include it too. many do not like the taste of mushroom, but trust me if it is cooked right way and combined with right flavors, It tastes best.
How to make matar mushroom recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First soak the cashew nuts in warm water. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes.
2) Now we will make onion-tomato paste. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan. Once hot add chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Sprinkle some salt to speed up the process.
3) Cook till onions get soft and translucent.
5) Cook till they get slightly soft. Turn off the stove and let it cool down a bit.
7) Also make the smooth paste of soaked cashews.
9) Saute till they become golden brown. First it starts to release its water. Then all the water will dry up. and mushroom will starts to brown. Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
10) While mushrooms are cooking, boil the peas. You can boil in pressure cooker. Or microwave it. Take peas in microwave safe bowl. add 2 tablespoons of water, pinch of salt. Cover it with lid and cook it for 4-5 minutes. Time may vary depending on the type of microwave. Also if using fresh green peas then it takes more time. I am using frozen green peas, it took only 4 minutes in microwave.
12) Then add chopped green chilies. Saute for 30 seconds.
14) Cook till all the moisture evaporates and oil starts to ooze out from the sides. You won’t see that much oil because we started with very less amount of oil. Do stir in between to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
16) Mix well and cook for a minute.
18) Add cashew nut paste.
20) Add cooked mushroom and green peas.
22) Turn off the stove and it is ready to serve.
If not serving right away then keep it covered. So it stays warm till the time of serving.
Serving suggestion: This curry goes well with paratha or roti/phulka. I usually serve it with ajwain paratha. But sometime I make little thinner gravy and serve it with plain rice. My family loves it both ways.
Mushroom mutter curry recipe (Matar mushroom recipe)
- 2 tablespoons Cashew nuts
- ¼ cup Water (warm)
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1 medium or 1 cup Onion roughly chopped
- ½ inch Ginger chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 medium or 1 ½ cups Tomato roughly chopped
- Salt to taste
For matar mushroom curry:
- 2+2 teaspoons Oil
- 8 oz or 225 grams or 2 ½ CUPS Mushrooms cut into bite size pieces
- 1 ½ cups Green peas
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Green chilies chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) crushed lightly
- 1 cup Water
- Salt to taste
Making cashew paste and onion-tomato paste:
- First soak the cashew nuts in warm water. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Meantime make onion-tomato paste. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan.
- Once hot add chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Sprinkle some salt and cook till onions get soft and translucent.
- Mix in chopped tomatoes. Cook till they get slightly soft.
- Turn off the stove and let it cool down a bit.
- Make smooth paste out of this mixture using blender or grinder. Remove it to a bowl and keep it aside.
- Also make the smooth paste of soaked cashews. Keep it aside.
Making matar mushroom recipe:
- In the same pan heat 2 teaspoons of oil. Once hot add chopped mushrooms.
- Saute till they become golden brown. First it starts to release its water. Then all the water will dry up. and mushroom will starts to brown.
- Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
- While mushrooms are cooking, boil the peas. You can boil in pressure cooker. Or microwave it.
- Now in the same pan heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add chopped green chilies. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Then mix in prepared onion-tomato paste. add little salt.
- Cook till all the moisture evaporates and oil starts to ooze out from the sides. Do stir in between to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and crushed kasoori methi. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Then add 1 cup or more or less water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add cashew nut paste. Mix well.
- Add cooked mushroom and green peas.
- Mix well and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the stove.