Perfect Basmati Recipe Recipe! This recipe shows you how to cook basmati rice perfect, fluffy, not sticky, separated grains every time. Plus, it is an easy method to make rice in a pan or pot.
You will also learn all the tips to success. Keep reading I will show you the different ways to serve/use it!
Today I am sharing the stovetop version. Another method is making rice in an instant pot. I will update the existing or share the new post once I take the pics.
Cooking perfect Basmati Rice is tricky sometimes. But with some care and tips, you will able to make perfect rice. I have explained each step in detail with what that step does. Please follow the steps while cooking basmati rice. I am sure you will never fail. By following this method, you will get soft, fluffy rice. Every grain is separated from each other meaning grain are not sticky.
Do not even think to skip a single step while making rice. Because each step will help in making the basmati rice perfect. FYI, to learn about the cooking science behind cooking perfect, fluffy basmati rice, please continue reading, I have explained in detail after the step by step photos.
How to Cook Basmati Rice?
1) Take basmati rice in a colander or strainer and wash under running cold water until water runs clear. Or rinse them 2-3 times, till the water is not cloudy anymore. Then soak the rice in enough water for at least 10-15 minutes.
2) After soaking time drain the rice and let it dry in the colander or strainer for 10 minutes. This step helps to firm up the rice.
3) After 10 minutes of heat the ghee/oil in a thick bottom saucepan on medium heat. Always use a deep saucepan not shallow.
4) Once hot add rice and sauté them for a minute.
5) Add 2 cups of water, salt, and lemon juice. mix well.
6) Let the water come up to a rolling boil. Then cover it. And reduce the heat to the lowest possible heat. Cook it covered for 17-18 minutes. And then turn off the heat. During this cooking process do not open the lid to take a peek. In short do not disturb, put the timer for 17-18 minutes.
7) Once done, let it rest for 10 minutes covered. This step is a must. So rice gets time to firm up and so the rice won’t break while you stir. Then open the lid.
8) Fluff up the rice with use of a fork.
Perfect basmati rice is ready to serve. Or use in the recipes.
Ok, let’s break each step and see how it scientifically helps to make the perfect basmati rice.
Why need to wash the rice? – This step removes dirt, impurities and polishing material (if it is used). And also reduces the starch and make cooked rice grains separated from each other (that means less sticky).
Why need to soak the rice? – This step will help to reduce the cooking time. And allows the rice to expand into long grains and the cooked rice will be soft and fluffy.
Why need to air dry the rice? – This step is necessary. Rice becomes soft in soaking step and after that, this step will help the rice to firm up. So cooked rice won’t break.
Why add lemon juice to rice? – You will not taste a lemon flavor at all. But lemon juice helps the rice to keep separated from each other. And cooked rice stays white after it is cooked and cooled. If you have noticed sometimes cooked rice becomes light yellowish after it cools. This lemon juice prevents it from coloring.
Why need to keep on rest covered for 10 minutes after cooking? – If you stir hot rice, it will break as they are super soft. So during this resting time, rice grains will firm up (but still soft), and it will not break while you mix or fluff up.
Basmati rice: Water Ratio for stovetop method:
- For al dente texture (just like restaurants serve) – 1:1.5
- For soft texture (as shown in the photo, perfect for daily intake) – 1:2
You can serve this plain Indian basmati rice with any curry, dal or rasam. Or you can use this cooked rice for making many spiced rice dishes.
Tips to make the perfect basmati rice:
- Always use cold water to wash the rice. And warm or room temperature water to soak the rice.
- Always use a deep saucepan, not shallow pan.
- Air-dry the rice for 10 minutes after soaking will help to firm up the rice.
- Always let the cooked rice rest for 10 minutes without opening the cover. So rice gets time to firm up and so the rice won’t break while you stir.
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – ghee gives a little bit rich taste to the rice. If you are making it for guests or party or special occasions then add ghee. So it gives nice flavor and taste to the plain rice. But if making this rice for your everyday meals then skip the ghee. And make it healthy. You can use oil in place of clarified butter if vegan.
How To Cook PERFECT Basmati Rice Recipe
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 3 teaspoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Wash basmati rice under running cold water until water runs clear.
- Soak rice in enough water for at least 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes drain the rice and let it dry in colander or strainer for 10 minutes. This step helps to firm up the rice.
Cooking basmati rice:
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottom saucepan on medium heat.
- Once hot add rice and sauté them for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of water, salt, and lemon juice. mix well.
- Let the water come up to a boil.
- Then cover it. And reduce the heat to the lowest possible heat.
- Simmer it for 17-18 minutes. And turn off the heat.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes covered. This step is a must. So rice gets time to firm up and so the rice won’t break while you stir. Then open the lid.
- Fluff up the rice using a fork.
- Always use cold water to wash the rice.
- Use warm or room temperature water to soak the rice.
- Always use a deep saucepan, not shallow pan.