रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Onion pakoda recipe or kanda bhaji – deep fried onion fritters made with gram flour and spices. I have added some rice flour which helps to make it crispy.
In Mumbai, it is known as Kanda Bhaji. For those who doesn’t know, kanda=onion and bhaji=fritters.
There are two type of onion pakoda:
1) Crispy onion pakoda: I have shared this version today. To make it crispy, make sure that you are not adding any extra water. onion releases its own water while resting time. That water will just moisten the gram flour. That is enough water because we just want to moisten the ingredients. No need to make thick batter like other pakoda recipes. In short, less water means crispy pakoda.
2) Soft and fluffy pakoda: to make fluffy pakoda, make thick batter using extra water. Also add pinch of baking soda. This baking soda will help to make it more fluffy. This one is little similar to the one we make for pakoda kadhi . Both ways, pakoda tastes good. It’s all about the preferences.
I have added ajwain (carom seeds) to make it easy digestion. As pakoda are deep fried and sometimes besan can become heavy on stomach.
How to make onion pakoda or kanda bhaji recipe:
1) Take sliced onion in a bowl. NOTE: Make sure to slice the onions thin. If slices are thick then besan gets cooked while frying. but onion stays half cooked.
2) Add chopped green chilies, cilantro, curry leaves and ginger paste.
3) Mix it very well.
4) Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and carom seeds. NOTE: Adjust the quantity of green chili and red chili powder as per you liking spice level.
5) Then add rice flour and besan.
6) Mix it well. So all the flour and masala coat the all sliced onions. Adjust the besan quantity to coat the onions. Make sure all the sliced onion should be coated with flour.
7) Leave it aside for 20 minutes. By this time onion will start to leave its water. flour mixture will get wet. We don’t want to make batter so DO NOT add any extra water.
8) Heat the oil (few inches deep) in the pan on medium heat for deep frying. Once oil is hot, add spoonful of pakoda mixture. Make sure that oil is hot enough. If it is not hot then it will absorb too much oil. If oil is too hot then outer part will get burn and inside stays raw.
9) Fry it till it becomes golden brown on both sides. Turn them around while frying for even cooking. Deep fry few pakodas at a time. Do not over crowd them.
10) Then remove it on paper towel lined plate. And serve hot.
It should be served hot. As it cools, it loses its crispness.
Onion pakoda recipe (Kanda bhaji recipe)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 medium or 1 ⅓ cups Onion thinly sliced
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 4-5 Curry leaves chopped, optional
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds) ajwain
- ⅓ to ½ cup Besan (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoons Rice flour
- Oil for frying
Making onion pakoda recipe:
Take all the pakoda ingredients except oil in a bowl.
Mix very well So all the flour and masala coat the all sliced onions.
Leave it aside for 20 minutes. By this time onion will start to leave its water. flour mixture will get wet.
Heat the oil in the pan on medium heat for deep frying.
- Once oil is hot, add spoonful of pakoda mixture.
- Fry it till it becomes golden brown on both sides.
- Then remove it on paper towel lined plate. And serve hot.