Phodnicha bhaat recipe - This is maharashtrian style seasoned rice recipe. Phodni means tempering or seasoning while bhaat means rice.
Every region or family of India has their own version of making tempered rice using leftover. I have already shared the Gujarati style vagharelo bhaat and will be sharing other regions recipe in future.
For making this bhaat, mustard and cumin seeds are used in tempering same as Gujarati vagharelo bhaat. But the addition of green chilies, curry leaves and onion makes it different. Curry leaves gives such a distinct flavor to the rice.
I usually end up using leftover rice by making vagharelo bhaat as it is hubby’s favorite and sometimes I make extra rice, so the next day he can have it in his lunch box.
But recently I tried this bhaat recipe and I really liked it, but he still prefers the our usual stuff (he doesn’t like changes). So I make this rice recipe very rarely and it is just for me.
How to make phodnicha bhaat recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop. Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2) Saute in green chilies and curry leaves for a minute.
3) Add chopped onion, sprinkle some salt to speed up the process.
4) Cook till onions are soft and translucent.
5) Add turmeric powder and red chili powder.
6) Mix well and cook for a minute.
7) Stir in cooked rice and let the rice get heated through for about 2-3 minutes.
8) Turn off the stove and lastly add pinch of sugar and lemon juice. Mix well and serve.
How do you use your leftover rice? Do you have your own family recipe for seasoned rice? Please share in the comments below. I love to try it because you know that I like to try and eat different stuff (unlike my husband :))
Serving suggestion: Serve with yogurt or pickle.
Phodnicha bhaat recipe (Maharashtrian style seasoned rice recipe)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 3-4 Curry leaves
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 ½ cups Cooked rice
- a pinch Sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, let them pop.
- Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add green chili and curry leaves, let it cook for a minute.
- Then mix in onions and salt, cook till onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Mix in turmeric and red chili powder.
- Add cooked rice and mix well so all the spices is coated to all rice grains.
- Let the rice get heated through, turn off the stove.
- Add sugar if using and squeeze some lemon juice, mix.
- Turn off the stove.