Hara bhara kabab recipe – kababs are usually prepared with meat, but there are many vegetarian kababs are also popular and this hara bhara kabab is one of the popular vegetarian versions.
You may find it in many restaurant menus. I have eaten them many times, they are crispy from outside while melt in your mouth from inside. At many places they stuff a cheese cube in the center, so when eaten hot you will experience the gooey, melty cheesy taste. Today I am sharing the restaurant style recipe of hara bhara kabab minus the cheese.
The name says ‘hara bhara’ because we are using few green vegetables mainly spinach and green peas.
These are semi-healthy because it has plenty of green vegetables but they are deep fried. To make it healthy, you can shallow fry them just like aloo tikki recipe. If shallow frying then skip the outer coating of batter and breadcrumbs.
With this kabab mixture, you can make big patty and use to make healthy burger.
How to make Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First boil the potatoes and peas and keep them ready. Meantime Bring 3-4 cups of water to a rolling boil in a pan on medium-high heat. Once it starts boiling, add spinach leaves.
2) Cook for exactly 3 minutes. Then turn off the stove.
3) Immediately drain the water and run through under running cold water to stop further cooking. Or dip the cooked spinach into ice cold water and then drain. Squeeze the excess water using your fist and Keep it aside.
4) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
5) Then add chopped green chili and ginger.
6) Saute for a minute or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
7) Now add capsicum and mix.
8) Cook for few minutes or till it becomes soft.
9) Then add boiled peas and blanched spinach.
10) Mix well and cook for few minutes or till it becomes dry.
11) Add salt, chaat masala, cumin powder, garam masala and amchur powder.
12) Mix well and turn off the stove. Let the mixture cool down slightly.
13) Then transfer it to a grinder or blender jar.
14) Make coarse paste without adding any water.
15) Now in a bowl take boiled, mashed potatoes, coarse green paste, chopped coriander leaves and breadcrumbs.
16) Mix well and the mixture will come together like a dough. If it looks sticky and wet then you can add more breadcrumbs for binding.
17) Now to prepare the dipping batter, take all purpose flour in a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
18) Make thick yet runny batter by adding water.
19) Now divide the kabab mixture equally into 10-11 portions and shape into round patty or cylinder shape.
20) Then prepare the counter with shaped kababs, dipping batter and breadcrumbs for coating.
21) Take one piece and dip both sides into the batter.
22) Then gently coat both sides using breadcrumbs.
23) Shake off excess bread crumbs and arrange them back in the plate. Repeat the same for rest.
24) Heat the oil in a pan for deep frying. Once oil is hot slice few hara bhara kabab into the hot oil. Do flip them for even browning from both sides. Once they are golden brown and crispy from all the sides, remove it to a paper towel lined plate and serve hot.
These hara bhara kababs should be served hot/warm. As the time goes it loses its crispness.
Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe (Restaurant Style Recipe of Hara Bhara Kabab)
Ingredients for Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe:
- 2 medium or 1 cup Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- ¾ cup Green peas boiled or cooked in microwave
- 2 cups Spinach (Palak) stems removed and tightly packed
- 2 teaspoons Oil + more for deep frying
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- ½ inch Ginger finely chopped
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 3-4 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Breadcrumbs
For outer coating:
- ¼ cup All purpose flour (Maida)
- A pinch of Salt
- ⅓ cup Water
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
Making Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe:
- Blanch the spinach in 3-4 cups of boiling water for exactly 3 minutes. Then run through under running cold water or dunk them into ice cold water. Drain the excess water and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, add cumin seeds to the hot oil and let them sizzle.
- Add green chili and ginger, saute for a minute.
- Mix in capsicum and cook till becomes soft.
- Add boiled peas and blanched spinach. Cook for few minutes or till it becomes moisture free.
- Mix in salt and all the spice powders, turn off the stove.
- Once mixture becomes cool, grind coarsely using grinder or blender.
- Take that into a bowl, add boiled mashed potatoes, cilantro leaves and breadcrumbs. Mix and make dough like mixture.
- Shape into round patty or cylinder.
Making outer coating and frying:
- Take all purpose flour with pinch of salt in a bowl and make thick batter by adding water.
- Now make the breading station ready by keeping shaped kababs, dipping batter and breadcrumbs for outer coating on the coutertop.
- First dip one patty into the flour batter and then coat both sides using breadcrumbs. Repeat the same for rest of the patties.
- Then deep fry them into hot oil on medium heat till they are crispy and golden brown from all the sides.
- Remove it to a paper towel lined plate and serve hot or warm.