Aloo Bhujia Recipe – This crispy aloo sev is perfect savory tea-time snack or Diwali namkeen snack. Make a big batch, store in container and enjoy it for weeks.
It is made from besan and potatoes with few spices. While making the dough for potato sev, you need to make sure that dough should not be too soft or sticky. Otherwise it will absorb too much oil and won’t taste good.
I love to eat aloo bhujia sev just because of it’s chatpata (tangy) taste. This comes from amchur and lemon juice. I have tried Balaji and Haldiram packets and the taste of this recipe is close to the packet ones.
Along with chatpata taste, it also has spicy taste. It comes from addition of red chili powder and green chilies. If you like less spicy then reduce the amount of chilies.
How to make Aloo Bhujia Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Prep: Boil the potatoes in the pressure cooker till soft. Once it is cool to touch, peel the skin and grate them. Make sure to grate them using fine grater, because we do not want any chunks of potato. FYI: 250 grams is the measurement for raw potatoes. 1 cup tightly packed measurement is for boiled, grated potato.
1) Take peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon stick into into a grinder jar.
2) Make fine powder out of it.
3) Now add chopped green chilies, mint leaves and lemon juice.
4) And grind it into smooth paste. If needed you can add just couple of teaspoon of water, not more. Keep this paste aside.
5) Now take besan in a bowl and add salt, hing, turmeric powder, amchur, black salt and red chili powder.
6) Mix well.
7) Add prepared paste and grated potatoes.
8) Start mixing using your fingers, it will be really sticky.
9) Knead into smooth, soft dough. NO NEED to add any extra water, moisture from potatoes is enough to make soft dough. Since this is sticky dough, at the end you may need to wash your hands, grease it and again knead to make smooth dough.
10) Now Heat the oil in pan on medium heat for frying. To make this potato sev, you will required sev machine or sev maker. In that we will be using the disc which has very tiny small holes. Grease the inside of the sev machine and plate using oil.
11) Divide the dough into two portions and fill the machine with one dough portion. Close the sev maker tightly.
12) Once the oil is hot enough for frying, hold the machine over the pan, and turn the handle into clockwise and thin sev will come out from the bottom and will drop into hot oil. As it falls, keep moving the machine, so all the sev does not dump at one place.
13) Do not overcrowd the pan. Once done, move the handle into reverse motion so sev will stop coming. Fry for some time, do flip them halfway through.
14) Once it becomes light brown in color and slightly crisp, remove it from the oil using slotted spatula.
15) And keep them on paper towel lined plate. Repeat the same from rest of the dough.
16) Once it cools down completely, break them using your hand. It is ready to serve or store.
You can store this aloo sev in airtight container or jar for 3-4 weeks or more.
Serving suggestion: Serve aloo bhujia as a morning or evening snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 8 Black peppercorns
- 8 Cloves
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Green chili
- 10 Mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 150 grams or 1 cup Besan (gram flour) tightly packed
- 250 grams or 1 cup Potatoes (boiled, peeled, grated and measured tightly packed)
- Salt to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
Boil the potatoes till soft. Once cooled down, peel the skin and grate.
Make fine powder from peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon stick using the grinder.
Then add green chilies, mint leaves, lemon juice and make smooth paste.
Mix besan, salt and all the spice powders (hing, turmeric powder, black salt, amchur, red chili powder) in a bowl.
Then add boiled, grated potatoes and above prepared paste.
Start mixing and knead into smooth and soft dough without adding any water.
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat for frying.
Meantime, grease the inside of the sev machine and disc. Please use the disc which has very tiny holes.
Now divide the dough into two portions and fill the sev machine container with one part of the dough and close tightly.
Once oil is hot, drop the sev directly into the hot oil and fry till crisp and slightly golden brown in color.
Then remove it using slotted spatula and keep on paper towel lined plate.
Repeat the same for rest of the dough.
Once sev cools down completely, it is ready to serve.