Curd Rice Recipe (Thayir sadam recipe) – This rice dish is EASY to prepare, comforting food. This is commonly served as a part of meal in South India.
In tamil, it is called thayir sadam where thayir means yogurt and sadam means rice. There are other names too for this dish based on different region of south India.
The two main ingredients are Cooked rice and Curd aka yogurt, dahi. On top, the tempering is made using mustard seeds, green chilies, ginger and curry leaves. The tadka adds really good flavor to this curd rice recipe.
Please do not use sour yogurt. Or by any chance the yogurt is sour, then reduce its quantity and instead add milk or water to get loose, right consistency mixture.
Here I have added very little grated carrot just to get some pop of color. You can skip it to make simple, plain curd rice. Alternately you can add grated cucumber, beetroot, chopped coriander leaves or even fruits like pomegranate seeds or sliced grapes.
How to make curd rice recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Wash the rice under running cold water till water runs clear. Or rinse with water for 2-3 times or till the water is not cloudy anymore.
2) Take washed rice into pressure cooker. Add salt and water. Stir.
3) Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on. Turn the heat on medium and pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles or till the rice is soft.
4) Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. Here we are cooking the rice little more softer than usual rice dishes. Mix and mash with back of spatula slightly.
5) Now add yogurt. NOTE: add yogurt when rice is cooled slightly or it is warm. If added to hot rice, then yogurt may curdle.
6) Mix well. Taste and see if needed any extra salt. Also check the consistency, add more yogurt or milk if the mixture is too thick.
7) For tempering, heat the oil in a small tadka pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
8) Then add chopped green chili and ginger. Saute for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
9) Now add curry leaves. Turn off the stove.
10) Add this tempering immediately to the yogurt, rice mixture.
11) Also add grated carrot, if using.
12) Mix very well.
As it cools, it becomes more thick. So based on when you are serving, adjust the consistency by adding milk or water or yogurt. If serving right away then it is fine. If serving chilled or later time, keep the curd rice mixture little loose.
Serving suggestion: Serve curd rice at room temperature or chilled. Serve this rice as a part of meal. This can be packed into lunch box or take a dabba while travelling. At many places in southern part of India, it is offered to god as a neivedyam and then served to devotees as a prasad.
Curd Rice Recipe (How to make Curd Rice Recipe), Thayir Sadam Recipe
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For curd rice recipe:
- ½ cup Regular rice , I have used sona masoori rice
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 1 ¼ cups Plain yogurt Curd or Dahi
- 2 tablespoons Carrot grated, optional
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 large Green chili chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons Ginger finely chopped or minced
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- Wash rice and take into pressure cooker. Add salt and water.
- Pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles or till rice is cooked till soft and slightly mushy.
- Once rice is cooled slightly, add yogurt and mix.
- You can adjust the consistency by adding water, milk or more yogurt. Also taste and see if more salt is required.
- Now to make tadka, heat the oil in a small pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop. Then add green chilies, ginger and curry leaves. Saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Add this tempering to the rice mixture.
- Also add grated carrot if using and mix.
- Serve this curd rice at room temperature or chilled.