Rava dhokla recipe – an instant version of white dhokla. No soaking, grinding or fermentation required. Hence it is very quick and easy to make.
Traditionally white dhokla is made from rice and split urad dal and it lengthy process. First need to soak the dal-rice, then grind and then let it ferment overnight just like idli, dosa. Thus you must plan ahead of time. So here I am sharing quick and instant version of making dhokla using rava or sooji. I have already shared Instant Khaman Recipe here.
This rava dhokla has soft and spongy texture. This is a healthy snack as it is steamed and very less oil is used to make tempering. You can serve it as a snack or weekend breakfast. Sometimes I serve this as a side along with roti-subzi and masala chaas. It makes filling and healthy meal.
Yogurt is used in this recipe to make batter. Why? To get the hint of sourness to the steamed dhokla (just like traditional white dhokla gets after fermentation.), we are adding yogurt.
After making the batter, it needs to be rest for 30 minutes. By this time, coarse sooji will get soften and will absorb some moisture and so batter will get thick.
Just before steaming, Eno or fruit salt is added to the batter. It makes batter so light and fluffy. And so the steamed dhokla will be soft and spongy.
If serving as a snack then have it with some coriander chutney on side. It will be delicious. My mouth is watering as I am writing. You guessed it right, this is my most favorite snack.
How to make Instant rava dhokla (Step by Step Recipe with Photos):
1) Take coarse sooji in a bowl and add chopped green chilies, cilantro, ginger paste, salt and oil.
2) Mix it very well.
3) Now add yogurt.
4) Mix well so all the sooji is moistened and becomes thick paste.
5) Now Make lump free batter by adding little water at a time. If you dump all the water at same time then there will be many lumps of sooji. Now let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
6) When it is about to 30 minutes. Prepare the steamer. Add a glass of water in steamer and let it come to a boil. Grease the dhokla tray with oil. I have used 9 inch cake pan as a dhokla tray.
7) Once everything is ready for steaming then sprinkle eno over the dhokla batter. It will bubble up. Immediately stir it. Do not stir too much otherwise eno’s bubbly effect will go away.
8) Do not waste time and IMMEDIATELY pour the batter into the prepared tray.
9) Steam it for 10-12 minutes on medium heat. time may vary as per the tray size and thickness of the dhokla. Best way to check is insert a knife into the dhokla and if it comes out clean then it is ready.
10) Remove the tray from steamer and let it cool for 5 minutes and then cut into desired shape.
11) Now Make tempering. Heat the oil in a small tadka pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
12) Then add slit green chilies and curry leaves. Turn off the stove.
13) Let the oil cool down for a minute. Then add red chili powder.
14) If red chili powder is added into the hot oil then it will burn.
15) Using a spoon drizzle the tadka over the dhokla. It does not require that all of the surface is covered with tadka. Now using the flat spatula remove the dhokla from the tray and serve.
Make this yummy instant dhokla recipe in your kitchen and let me know how you and your family liked it in the comments below.
Here is the Rava dhokla recipe:
- Coarse sooji (semolina or rava) - ½ cup
- Green chilies - 1, finely chopped
- Ginger paste - ½ teaspoon
- Cilantro leaves – 6 sprigs, chopped finely
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt – ¼ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Eno (fruit salt) – ½ teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Green chilies – 2-3, slit
- Curry leaves – 4-5
- Red chili powder – ¼ teaspoon
- First mix sooji, green chilies, cilantro, ginger paste, salt and oil. Then mix in yogurt and make smooth paste.
- Then add water little by little, so there will be no lumps. Make batter and let it rest covered for 30 minutes.
- When 5 minutes left. Prepare the steamer by adding a glass of water and let the water come to boil. Grease the dhokla tray with oil.
- Now everything is ready and we have to work quickly. Sprinkle eno on the batter , it will bubble up. Stir it and immediately pour the batter into greased dhokla tray.
- Steam for 10-12 minutes on medium heat. Check by inserting a toothpick or knife and if it comes out clean then it is ready.
- Remove the tray from steamer and let it cool for 5 minutes. Then cut into pieces and make tadka.
- Heat the oil in small pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop. Then add green chilies and curry leaves. Turn off the stove and let the oil cool down for a minute. Then add red chili powder.
- Drizzle the tadka over the dhokla using spoon, remove the slices using flat spatula and serve.
Shelf life – It can stay good for 2-3 days in fridge in airtight container.
Serving suggestions – Serve it as a snack or breakfast with a cup of tea or coffee. It can be served with chutney or ketchup.