Peda are very popular and delicious sweet from India. There are many different ways to make peda. This recipe requires khoya which easily available in Indian grocer next to paneer in frozen section. And brown sugar and honey is added for sweetness. Peda are eaten on celebrations like on any festivals. Any nuts like pistachio, cashews, and almonds are added as a garnishing on top. I garnished with halved almond.
Adapted From – Sanjeev Kapoor’s recipe
- • Khoya (Mava) – 1 ¾ cups
- • Light brown sugar – ⅓ cup, packed
- • Clarified butter (Ghee) – 1 teaspoon
- • Honey – 1 tablespoon
- • Milk – ½ cup
- • Cardamom powder – ¼ teaspoon
- • Almonds – 6, halved
- Add khoya, light brown sugar, ghee and honey in a pan.
- Mix well.
- Turn on the heat to medium and cook it till mixture melts and become smooth. It will take 3 minutes. Stir continuously. Below pictures are after 1 minute
- and after 3 minutes it will looks like this
- Then add milk tablespoon at a time with stirring continuously. (Cook till milk evaporated then adds a tablespoon of milk and so on).
- Then cook till mixture become thick almost all moisture evaporates. It will take about 7-8 minutes. Stir constantly and scrap down the side to prevent burning. Turn off the heat. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Remove the mixture in another plate and let cool.
- Then divide mixture in 12 equal portions. Grease your hand and roll into balls then flatten them and make shape of peda. Garnish with almonds.
- Let it cool completely before serving.
• Shelf life – you can keep it at room temperature up to 3-4 days in air tight container. You can keep refrigerated up to 2 weeks. Store them in single layer in container. If you are staking them then use parchment paper between two layers.
• Serving suggestions – sometimes used as a Prasad in religious pooja. Enjoy peda as a sweet any time of the day. Pedas are usually served to guests on festivals like Diwali. Some people pack this as a gift and give it to relatives or friends or to their loved ones on New Year day or Diwali.