रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Sem Aloo ki sabzi – healthy dry vegetable side dish made from sem ki phalli and potatoes.
Surti Papdi sabzi is very popular in Gujarat. Surati papdi is also known as Valor or Walor in Gujarati. Also known as sem ki phalli or Indian Beans. If you know the other name (in your mother tongue) then I would like to know. Please let me know in comment below.
I have added potatoes in this subzi, as we like this combination. And potato goes well with this subzi. You know that you can pair any vegetable with potato in Indian cooking. I have already shared so many Sabzi recipes (dry vegetables) with potato combination and I am adding one more in this list.
For those who don’t know, Valor or surti papdi is very high in dietary fibers, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and vitamin K. When I was in India, my mom makes this once a week when they are in season (winter only). But here in USA, I get this vegetable all year around. So I make it whenever I feel like.
I have used very few dry spices, but still it tastes delicious. Addition of amchur powder and garam masala at the end, give the unique taste to the dish. It is very healthy recipe, so you can make it on everyday basis. It is also a vegan recipe.
I have read from one blog (randomly, so don’t remember the name) that in North India, this sem aloo ki sabzi is prepared almost the same way without onion and garlic.
How to make Surti Papdi Recipe (Step by step recipe with photos):
1) Wash or rinse sem ki phalli very well. Now using your hand break the top end and remove gently. So you will get this fibrous thing out. Some valor doesn’t have fibrous string while some does. You have to remove it otherwise it won’t taste good at all.
2) Now do the same with other end remove the string from other side too. Then chop them in half inch pieces. If you haven’t removed string, you will feel that while chopping. It is important to remove this string. The feeling of chewing that string is really bad. Trust me. And if it stuck between your teeth, holy crap.
3) Also wash, peel and chop the potato.
4) Now heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
5) Then add turmeric powder.
6) Immediately add chopped valor and potatoes.
7) Now mix it well.
8) Add red chili powder, coriander powder and salt.
9) Again mix it very well. so all the masala and oil is coated well.
10) Then cover the pan and cook it till potatoes and valor are tender and cooked.
11) Check by inserting knife or fork, if it inserts easily then it is cooked. As valor gets cooked it gets lighter in color.Don’t forget to stir in between to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
12) Once cooked then add amchur powder and garam masala.
13) Stir well, turn off the stove heat. It is ready to serve.
Buy this vegetable in your next grocery trip and make this healthy and delicious Valor Bateta nu Shaak.
- Valor – it also known as Surti papdi or sem ki phalli. And in English, it known as ‘Indian Beans’. I have used fresh one. But if you don’t get fresh papdi then you can buy frozen one. Here in USA, I have seen frozen packet of this vegetable.
- Removing fibrous string from this vegetable is the must step. If it comes in your mouth while eating then it will spoil the taste.
- You can skip the addition of potato. And make just sem ki phalli recipe.
- Same recipe, procedure and proportion is used to make other vegetables like french beans, long beans.
Sem aloo ki sabzi (Surti Papdi Recipe) Valor bateta nu Shaak
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 3 cups Valor (surti papdi or sem ki phali) chopped
- 1 medium or 1 cup Potatoes cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons Red chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Amchur powder (Dried mango powder)
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- Wash or rinse sem ki phalli very well.
- Now using your hand break the top end and remove gently. So you will get this fibrous thing out. Some valor doesn’t have fibrous string while some does.
- Now do the same with other end remove the string from other side too.
- Then chop them in half inch pieces.
- Also wash, peel and chop the potato.
Making sem aloo ki sabzi
- Now heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add turmeric powder.
- Immediately add chopped valor and potatoes. mix it well.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Again mix it very well.
- Then cover the pan and cook it till potatoes and valor are tender and cooked. Check by inserting knife or fork, if it inserts easily then it is cooked.
- Once cooked then add amchur powder and garam masala.
- Stir well, turn off the stove heat.