This is the BEST and easy to make punjabi aloo paratha recipe with step by step photos. This is Indian stuffed flatbread where outer layer is made from whole wheat flour and stuffing is spiced potato mixture.
Variations for aloo paratha stuffing:
- Today I am sharing the simple and quick version. The boiled potatoes are mashed and added few spices. That’s it. The stuffing is ready.
- Add a teaspoon of anardana powder, it tastes too good.
- You can also add a teaspoon of kasoori methi.
- Amchur powder is added for slight tangy taste. Alternately you can use lemon juice.
- You can add a tablespoon of mango pickle (achaar) masala to the stuffing.
- This variation is my mom’s: Saute onion, green chili, ginger garlic paste in oil. Then mix in turmeric powder, spices and boiled potatoes. It is similar to batata vada mixture.
- Along with onions you can add veggies like finely chopped bell pepper, grated carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, boiled mashed peas, chopped spinach, methi leaves, beet greens or any other leafy vegetable. You can add grated beetroot like this beetroot paratha.
How and When aloo paratha is served?
- Traditionally this is a breakfast dish. But in modern lifestyle, we don’t have that much physical work to do. So we can’t (at least I and hubby) digest heavy breakfast in the morning. So I never make this as a breakfast. But I do make this as a dinner or weekend brunch.
- Traditionally the dollop of white butter or makhan is added on top. If Vegan, then skip the butter or use vegan butter.
- Aloo paratha is served with plain yogurt, mint chutney or coriander chutney and pickle on side.
- Instead of having a bowl of yogurt on side, you can make raita e.g. cucumber raita, onion raita, onion tomato raita, spinach raita.
How to make aloo paratha recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Boil the potatoes in the pressure cooker. take potatoes in the cooker. add enough water so potatoes are submerged in the water. Cook it for 2-3 whistles on medium heat. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. The number of whistles may vary. It depends on the size and type of the potatoes. Or you can cook potatoes in an instant pot.
2) Remove the potatoes and let it cool to touch. Then peel the potatoes.
3) Mash the potatoes using masher. make sure to mash it well, don’t keep big chunks of potatoes. Otherwise it will be harder to roll paratha. paratha may get break.
4) Mix in green chilies, cilantro and grated ginger.
5) Add salt, amchur, garam masala, red chili powder and cumin powder.
6) Mix it well. Best way to mix is ‘use your hands’. Keep it aside.
7) Make the dough for paratha. Take atta, salt and oil in a bowl. Mix using fingertips.
8) Add little water a time and start kneading the dough.
9) Make smooth and soft dough. Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. NOTE: Make the dough while boiled potatoes are cooling. and make stuffing while dough is resting to speed up the process.
10) After 15 minutes knead the dough again one more time to make it smooth. divide it into 8 equal portions. Using your both palm, make smooth ball and then flatten it out. Also divide the potato stuffing into 8 portions.
11) Now take one flatten dough ball at time. Dip it into dry flour and roll into 3-4 inch diameter circle using rolling pin and board.
12) Put one potato ball in the center, gather the edges as shown.
13) Pinch it into the center to seal it properly.
14) flatten it using your hands very gently.
15) Again dip into dry flour and roll into 6 inch diameter round. Roll it very very gently, making perfect paratha needs practice.
16) Heat the tawa or griddle on medium heat. Once hot place the rolled paratha on it and cook for few seconds or till the you see few bubble on the top.
17) Flip it and cook other side as well. Apply some oil on the surface.
18) Flip again and cook it by pressing gently using spatula.
19) As you press it will puff up if it is rolled properly. otherwise it won’t puff but that is fine it will taste great. Again apply some oil on top and also around the edges. flip it.
20) Cook the other side as well by pressing lightly.
Remove it to insulated container or serve directly to your family member’s plate. Repeat the same process for rest of the parathas.
Tips for making perfect Aloo paratha recipe:
- To Make any stuffed paratha properly, dough needs to be soft and smooth. If the dough is not smooth then it will give hard time rolling. If the dough is hard (not soft) then it will break while rolling. and stuffing will come out from the edges.
- Chop the chilies and cilantro very finely.
- Also mash the potatoes well. If there are any big chunks of potato or chili, paratha will break while rolling.
- Let the stuffing cool completely before you start making the paratha.
- It is very important to fry it properly. The sides or edges of the paratha stays raw if not cooked properly. To cook the edges well, you need to drizzle some oil or ghee at all the edges around along with applying oil on surface.
- I have fried the paratha using oil, but traditional punjabi household fry the paratha with ghee (clarified butter) or butter.
- More practice makes it perfect. If making for the first time, it will break. But it should not stop you making the next one.
Aloo paratha recipe (How to make punjabi aloo paratha)
For aloo stuffing:
- 500 grams Potatoes or 2 cups boiled, peeled, mashed
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
for making dough for aloo paratha recipe:
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour (chapati atta) + more for dusting while rolling
- 2 tablespoons Oil + more for frying parathas
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons Water
Making stuffing and dough:
- Boil the potatoes in pressure cooker. Once cool to touch peel and mash using potato masher.
- While potatoes are cooling, make the dough. Mix whole wheat flour, salt and oil in a bowl.
- Start adding little water at a time and knead into soft and smooth dough.
- Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. Meanwhile make the stuffing.
- Take mashed potatoes, green chilies, cilantro and grated ginger in a bowl and mix.
- Also mix in salt, amchur, garam masala, red chili powder and cumin powder.
- divide it into 8 equal portions. Keep it aside.
Making aloo paratha recipe:
- After the dough resting time, knead the dough once again for 2-3 times to smooth it out and divide it into 8 equal portion. Make smooth ball and flatten it out into disc.
- Take one flatten ball, roll into 3-4 inch diameter circle.
- Put the stuffing inside and seal it by gathering the edges into the center.
- Flatten it using hand and roll into 6 inch diameter circle. Use dry flour to make rolling easy.
- Now heat the tawa on medium to fry the paratha.
- Fry them on hot tawa using oil till both sides gave golden brown spots.
- Repeat the same process for rest of the paratha.