Gobi paratha recipe – one of the popular paratha recipes from Punjab, North India. It is stuffed paratha where stuffing is made from cauliflower and few spices.
The recipe of making gobi paratha is same as other stuffed paratha recipe. Meaning the procedure of stuffing and rolling the paratha is same for all stuffed paratha. Only difference is the making the stuffing mixture. Still I have shared detailed stepwise photos just in case you are beginner in making paratha.
This stuffed punjabi gobi ke parathe I made is the spicy one. The stuffing is made from cauliflower and some dry spice powders. Addition of ginger and green chilies adds little extra flavor to it. If you do not like spicy food then reduce the chili powder or green chilies in the recipe.
This is our family favorite, so I make it very often. Last time I made gobi paratha was few weeks back when my in-laws were here. They tried it for first time and also enjoyed it so much.
Gobi paratha is usually served as a breakfast. But I do make it in the dinner/lunch whenever I feel lazy for cooking elaborate meal (dal, chawal, roti, subzi). I serve it with raita or sometime with plain yogurt.
Gobi or cauliflower is the vegetable that my family love to eat without any complains. Thus you will find many cauliflower recipes on the blog like aloo gobi, gobi shimla mirch, aloo gobi matar, gobi matar.
How to make gobi paratha recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First grate the cauliflower using box grater very finely. Alternately use food processor, but make sure that there are no big chunks of cauliflower otherwise paratha will break while rolling. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2) Then add ginger paste and green chili. Saute for few seconds.
3) Then add grated cauliflower, sprinkle some salt and mix.
4) Let it cook for few minutes.
5) Add all the dry spices (coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, amchur powder).
6) Mix well and cook till mixture becomes dry. By this time gobi will be cooked as well.
7) Turn off the stove, lastly add chopped cilantro.
8) Mix well and keep it aside and let it cool down.
9) Meanwhile make the dough for outer layer. Take flour, salt and oil in a bowl. rub it with your fingertips.
10) Add little water at a time and start kneading the dough.
11) Dough should be soft and smooth. Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. By this time stuffing will be cooled down.
12) After resting time for the dough, Knead it once again and smooth out the dough. Divide it into 6 equal portions. Make smooth ball and flatten it between your palm. Also divide the stuffing into 6.
13) Work with one flatten disc at a time. Dust it into dry flour and start rolling using rolling pin and rolling board.
14) It should be 4 inch in diameter.
15) Put one portion of stuffing in the center.
16) Start gathering the edges.
17) and pinch it to seal it tightly.
18) Using your hand, flatten it out.
19) Again dust it into dry flour.
20) and roll it very gently into 6 inch diameter circle.
21) Heat the tawa or pan on medium heat. Once hot place the rolled paratha and cook for few seconds, you will see few bubbles on top.
22) Flip it and cook other side for few seconds as well, there should be very few lightly brown spots.
23) Apply some oil on it and again flip it.
24) Cook by pressing it lightly with spatula.
25) brush oil again. once cooked bottom side the flip it
26) By pressing lightly cook other side as well, and remove it from the pan. repeat same for rest of the parathas.
What are the other kind of stuffed parathas you make at home? I would love to try the different versions.
Gobi paratha recipe (How to make gobi paratha recipe)
For gobi paratha stuffing:
- 1 tablespoon Oil + more for frying the parathas
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 small Green chili finely chopped
- 2 cups Cauliflower (gobi) grated finely
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
For paratha dough:
- 1 ½ cups Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Salt to taste
- little more than ½ cup Water
- Grate cauliflower using grater or use food processor to grate it very finely.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds.
- Once they sizzle, add chopped chilies and ginger paste, fry for few seconds.
- Mix in grated gobi with some salt. Cook for few minutes.
- Then add all dry spices and mix. Cook till it dries out means no moisture in the mixture.
- Turn off the stove and lastly mix in chopped cilantro. Keep it aside to cool.
- Take atta, salt and oil in a bowl. Rub it with your fingertips.
- Then start adding little water at a time and knead the dough, it should be smooth and soft.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.
Making gobi paratha recipe:
- After 20 minutes, stuffing is cooled down, divide into 6 equal portions.
- Knead the dough once again and divide it into 6 balls and flatten it out.
- Dip one flatten disc into dry flour and roll into 4 inch diameter circle.
- Put one portion of stuffing in the center, Gather the edges and pinch it to seal it properly. Flatten it using your hand.
- Dip again into dry flour and roll into 6 inch diameter paratha.
- Heat the tawa or pan on medium heat. Once hot place the paratha and fry using little amount of oil till they have golden brown spots on both sides.
- Remove it from the pan and repeat the same for rest of the parathas.