Corn chaat recipe or Corn bhel - boiled sweet corn kernels are mixed with boiled potatoes, onion, tomato. Drizzled green chutney and sweet chutney on top and garnished with thin sev.
If you are regular reader, by now you come to know that I just love sweet corns. I can eat just plain boiled sweet corn every single day without getting bored. I usually buy a big pack of sweet corns from Costco and it lasts for only a week. Apart from eating boiled one, I do make many recipes.
When it comes to the quick snack recipe using corn, I always make buttered corn or masala corn or makai chivda.
Hubby loves masala corn, so I have to make for him. And I also make for myself. Otherwise I would just eat the plain.
But about a month back, when I was reading a cookbook (written in Gujarati language), I came to know about this corn bhel or corn chaat recipe and tried it immediately. It is little time consuming compared to buttered corn and masala corn. because this chaat calls for 2 chutneys, boiled potato. But this extra work is totally worth it.
For making corn chaat recipe, boiled corn kernels and boiled potatoes are sauteed with few spices first. Then this warm mixture is mixed with two chutneys (spicy and sweet, tangy), onion, tomato. Lastly mixed with thin sev.
I like to enjoy this corn bhel warm. It taste just fantastic. Just like any other chaat recipes, combination of flavors are bursting your mouth. If you like cold chaat instead of warm, simply make corn-potato mixture ahead of time and chill in the fridge. At the time of serving mix rest of the ingredients and serve cold.
How to make corn chaat or corn bhel recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) If using fresh corn cobs. First boil them in pressure cooker for about 2 whistles. Once it is cool to touch, remove the corn kernels by running the knife vertically. Alternately you can use canned corn kernels, no need to boil them. Or you can use frozen kernels, defrost them in microwave.
2) Also boil the potato in pressure cooker or use the leftover boiled potato. Once cool to touch, peel it and cut into small cubes.
3) Also prepare green chutney and sweet chutney. You can make them day before. I always have them ready in the fridge, so i used that. Also chop onion and tomatoes.
4) Now heat the oil or butter in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add, boiled corn kernels and potatoes.
5) Also add salt, chaat masala, red chili powder and garam masala. Be careful while adding salt, if your chaat masala has already salt in it.
6) Mix well and saute for 3-4 minutes. Turn off the stove and remove it to the bowl and let it become warm, if it is too hot.
7) Add chopped onion, tomato and coriander leaves.
8) Mix well.
9) Now drizzle green coriander chutney
10) Next is sweet and tangy tamarind date chutney.
11) Stir well.
12) Lastly add sev.
13) Mix well.
Remove it to a serving plate, if you want garnish with little more sev. Serve this corn chaat immediately before sev gets soggy.
Serving suggestion: Serve corn bhel as afternoon snack or anytime of the day whenever you are craving for.
📋 Recipe Card
Corn chaat recipe (Sweet corn bhel recipe)
- 2 medium Corn cobs or bhutta or 1 ½ boiled corn kernels
- 1 small or ½ cup Potatoes boiled, peeled, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Oil or Butter
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Chaat masala
- ⅓ cup Red onion chopped finely
- ⅓ cup Tomato chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- 4-5 tablespoons Green coriander chutney or mint chutney
- 4-5 tablespoons Meethi chutney (Tamarind date chutney)
- 1 cup Thin nylon sev
Cooking corn and potatoes:
- If using fresh corn cobs. First boil them in pressure cooker for about 2 whistles.
- Once it is cool to touch, remove the corn kernels by running the knife vertically.
- Alternately you can use canned corn kernels, no need to boil them.
- Or you can use frozen kernels, defrost them in microwave.
- Also boil the potato in pressure cooker or use the leftover boiled potato. Once cool to touch, peel it and cut into small cubes.
- Also prepare green chutney and sweet chutney. You can make them day before.
- Also chop onion and tomatoes.
Making corn bhel recipe"
- Heat the oil or butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add, boiled corn kernels and potatoes.
- Also add salt, chaat masala, red chili powder and garam masala. Mix well and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and remove it to the bowl and let it become warm.
- Add chopped onion, tomato and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Now drizzle green coriander chutney, sweet and tangy tamarind date chutney. Stir well.
- Lastly add sev. Mix well.
- Remove it to a serving plate, if you want garnish with little more sev.
I was looking for starter recipes for my son birthday and its really helpful and easy instructions thanks
Glad that you find it helpful.