Veg kabab recipe - cooked mixed vegetable mixture is shaped around the skewers and grill to the perfection. This makes incredibly delicious starter or appetizer for your guests or special occasion menu.
These are also called veg seekh kabab. Skewers are called seekh hence the name. Seekh pronounces like ‘seek’.
These seekh kababs are traditionally made from lamb and chicken meat. But we are taking the vegetarian route here and making it from mixed vegetables.
Many adds beans, lentils or soya chunks to make vegetarian version of kababs. But here I have used potatoes as a base and different veggies are added along with spices.
Here I have grilled them on a grill pan. Instead you can shallow fry them on regular pan. Or make patty shaped veg kabab and shallow fry like aloo tikki.
Variation: You can any mixture of vegetables. I have used cabbage, beans, carrot and peas. You can add cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms etc.
Check out similar snack or starter recipes
Veg cutlet // Hara bhara kabab // Veg kofta // Bread rolls
Step By Step Photo Instructions:
1) Heat the pan on medium low heat and dry roast the besan.
2) While roasting, do stir constantly. Once you get nice aroma of besan and it gets slight color change, remove it to a plate or bowl. The color change is not that noticeable, so do rely on smell.
3) Wipe out the pan if any excess flour. And in the same pan heat the oil on medium heat. Once hot add onions, ginger, garlic and green chili.
4) Mix and saute for 2 minutes or till the onions become soft and light pink in color and the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
5) Add veggies (cabbage, carrot, beans, peas) and salt.
6) Mix well and fry for a minute.
7) Cover and cook till they are soft. If they are sticking to the bottom of the pan then sprinkle little water and deglaze the pan.
8) Do fry them till all the moisture evaporates and becomes dry. Once soft and cooked, turn off the stove.
9) Add chopped coriander and mint leaves.
10) Mix well and let it cool down slightly.
11) Meantime, mash the boiled potatoes in a bowl. Add salt and spice powders (red chili powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, chaat masala, garam masala).
12) Squeeze the lemon juice.
13) Back to veggie mixture, it is cooled down. Take it to the grinder jar.
14) Make coarse paste by using pulse button
15) Add roasted besan to potato and spices.
16) Add crushed veggies.
17) Mix very well and check the consistency.
18) If it too sticky and loose then add breadcrumbs. The quantity of breadcrumbs depends on how moist your kabab mixture is.
19) Again mix using your hand and it should come together like a dough.
20) Now grease your hand with oil, take one skewer and start pressing tightly the kabab mixture around it.
21) Now using two hands, roll between your palm to smoothen the surface.
22) Repeat the same for rest.
23) Now heat the grill pan or regular nonstick pan on medium heat. Apply oil all over and around the veg kabab. Once the pan is hot, place kabab on it.
24) Once you get golden brown grill marks on bottom, turn the side and cook. Do cook similarly all the sides.
Once ready, remove it to a serving platter. Serve onion rings and lemon wedges on side. Also serve a bowl of mint chutney or green chutney or ketchup.
Serving suggestion: Serve this veg kabab as a snack or starter.
Did you try this veg kabab recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a review in the comment section below.
Veg Kabab (Seekh Kabab)
For Cooking Veggies:
- 2 tablespoons Besan (Gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ¼ cup Red onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger finely chopped or minced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic finely chopped or minced
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- ½ cup Cabbage finely chopped
- ½ cup Carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup Green beans (French beans) finely chopped
- ½ cup Green peas
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons Mint leaves
- 2 medium or 1 ½ cups Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed (tightly packed)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice or lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Breadcrumbs more or less as needed
- Oil for brushing while grilling
- Onion rings
- Lemon wedges
- Green coriander chutney or mint chutney
- First dry roast the besan on medium-low heat till you get nice toasted aroma of the besan. Do stir continuously while roasting.
- Once ready remove it to a bowl or plate.
- In the same pan heat oil on medium and saute onion, ginger, garlic and green chili till onions become soft.
- Then add all the veggies and salt. Mix, cover and cook till soft.
- Turn off the stove heat and add coriander and mint leaves. Mix and let the mixture cool down.
- Then make coarse paste into the grinder using pulse setting.
Shaping & Cooking Veg Kabab:
- Take mashed potatoes, salt, spice powders, roasted besan, lemon juice, crushed veggies in a bowl.
- Mix well, if the mixture is sticky and loose then add breadcrumbs and mix again. It should come together like a dough.
- Now shape the kabab around the skewers, apply oil on all the surface and grill them on grill pan till they have nice golden grill marks all around.
- Serve with onion rings, lemon wedges and side of chutney.
Excellent recipe! I fixed this recipe today and my family enjoyed it with nan (store bought), and a salad with plenty of green, purple cabbage, onions, and spinach with vinegar/oil dressing. It was absolutely delicious! Have you thought of putting a cookbook together? Lady you can seriously cook!
Very glad to know that your family enjoyed it.
I have no plan for cookbook anytime soon. But I'll keep sharing recipes here on the site.