Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe – this is simple Indian style potatoes and peas curry made in IP. This can be ready in just 15 minutes. This includes prep time, pressure building time and cooking time everything. Isn’t it great?
When you are short on time for making dinner, make this quick meal.
- You can serve this delicious curry with rice or quinoa. Both together you can cook in IP using PIP method (mentioned below). So just 15 minutes and dinner or meal is on the table. While it is cooking roast few papads to go on side or slice some cucumber, tomatoes to serve on side as a salad.
- This can be served with roti or paratha. If you do not have time to prepare it then have it with lightly toasted sandwich bread. And toast them while this potatoes peas curry is cooking in IP.
Here I have made small batch. But you can double or triple the quantity as per your requirements. No changes in the cooking time.
This is no onion no garlic recipe and also a vegan, gluten free recipe.
How to make Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Turn on the instant pot with saute mode. Once hot add oil and cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds sizzle a bit.
2) Then add tomatoes, ginger and green chili.
3) Mix well and continue cooking.
4) Cook for 2-3 minutes only or till tomatoes become soft. Now turn off the saute mode by pressing cancel otherwise it may starts to stick to the bottom. Remaining heat is enough to cook spices.
5) Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
6) Mix well.
7) Now add potatoes and peas.
8) Also add water and stir.
9) Cover the IP with lid. Keep the vent on Sealing position. Press the manual button (high pressure) and keep the timer for 4 minutes by pressing + or -.
10) Once done do QPR (quick pressure release) aka manually release the pressure by turning the position of the vent. Once all the pressure releases, the pin drops. That time open the lid.
11) Add garam masala and crushed kasoori methi.
12) Mix well and also crush few potatoes using back of spatula to thicken the gravy.
13) Lastly add chopped cilantro.
14) Mix well. It is ready to serve.
NOTE: If not serving right away meaning as the time goes gravy will thicken or potatoes may absorb all the gravy and you will end up with semi-dry curry. So adjust the water quantity as per needed to keep the thick gravy.
QUICK TIP: Cooking rice in instant pot also takes 4 minutes on Manual mode. So while making this instant pot aloo matar, cook the rice using PIP (Pot in Pot) method. You can put the rice pot (1:1 rice:water ratio) with rack in IP and both will be ready at the same time.
Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe (10 Minutes Potato Peas Curry in IP)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 small or 1 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cup Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Green peas
- 1 cup Water
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) crush between your palm before adding
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
Making Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe:
Turn on the IP with saute mode, add oil. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
Then add tomatoes, ginger and green chili. Cook till tomatoes are soft and now press cancel to turn off the saute mode.
Now mix in salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
Add potato cubes, peas and water.
Cover with lid, keep the vent to sealing position and cook for 4 minutes on Manual mode high pressure.
Once done do QPR, once pin drops open the lid.
Add garam masala and kasoori methi. Mix and mash few potatoes with back of spatula to thicken the gravy.
Lastly garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving