This is simple, quick and delicious Indian Potato and Peas Curry made in Instant Pot. It takes just 15 minutes (this includes prep time and cooking time). Yes you heard it right. This instant pot aloo matar takes just 15 minutes from start to finish.
Let me tell you on more cool thing about this recipe. In this 15 minutes you are not just making the potato & peas curry, but you can make a complete meal. Below are the few options:
- This goes well with plain rice, jeera rice or quinoa. You can cook any using PIP method along with this curry (method mentioned below in notes). While these are cooking in IP roast urad papad to go on side for some crunch. You can also quickly slice tomato, cucumber, beet etc to go on side as a healthy salad.
- This tastes good with roti or paratha. Preparing any of these two will take some time. But I know you are short on time. So while curry is cooking in IP, lightly toast few sandwich breads on skillet or toaster.
Here I have made small batch just for two of us. But you can double or triple the amount. Pressure cooking time will be the same. Only it takes little more time to build the pressure.
This is no onion no garlic recipe. Also it is vegan and gluten free curry.
If you do not care if it has onion garlic in it then this can be made with frozen onion-tomato masala. (method and amount mentioned below in notes). With this OTM, it is dump and go recipe.
How to make Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Turn on the instant pot with saute mode. Once hot add oil and cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds sizzle a bit.
2) Then add tomatoes, ginger and green chili.
3) Mix well and continue cooking.
4) Cook for 2-3 minutes only or till tomatoes become soft. Now turn off the saute mode by pressing cancel otherwise it may starts to stick to the bottom. Remaining heat is enough to cook spices.
5) Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
6) Mix well.
7) Now add potatoes and peas.
8) Also add water and stir.
9) Cover the IP with lid. Keep the vent on Sealing position. Press the manual button (high pressure) and keep the timer for 4 minutes by pressing + or -.
10) Once done do QPR (quick pressure release) aka manually release the pressure by turning the position of the vent. Once all the pressure releases, the pin drops. That time open the lid.
11) Add garam masala and crushed kasoori methi.
12) Mix well and also crush few potatoes using back of spatula to thicken the gravy.
13) Lastly add chopped cilantro.
14) Mix well. It is ready to serve.
If not serving right away meaning as the time goes gravy will thicken or potatoes may absorb all the gravy and you will end up with semi-dry curry. So adjust the water quantity as per needed to keep the thick gravy.
How to make potato & peas curry with rice using PIP method:
- Take washed / rinsed rice in a container. For 1 cup of rice, add 1 ½ cups of water (because I prefer soft rice. if you prefer al dente and slightly firmer rice then keep rice:water ratio 1:1 or 1:1.25).
- Put the rack in instant pot liner, and top place rice container and cover it.
- As mentioned above cook on manual 4 minutes.
- So both curry and rice will be ready together.
- Many times, I mix half rice and half quinoa to make it little healthy.
How to make Instant Pot Aloo Matar using Onion Tomato Masala:
- Add following to instant pot liner – ½ cup OTM (fresh or frozen), potatoes, peas, salt, ½ teaspoon red chili powder, ¾ cup water.
- Cook on manual (high pressure) 4 minutes.
- Do QPR.
- Add garam masala and kasoori methi.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe (10 Minutes Potato Peas Curry in IP)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 small or 1 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cup Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Green peas
- 1 cup Water
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) crush between your palm before adding
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
Making Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe:
- Turn on the IP with saute mode, add oil. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add tomatoes, ginger and green chili. Cook till tomatoes are soft and now press cancel to turn off the saute mode.
- Now mix in salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
- Add potato cubes, peas and water.
Cover with lid, keep the vent to sealing position and cook for 4 minutes on Manual mode high pressure.
- Once done do QPR, once pin drops open the lid.
- Add garam masala and kasoori methi. Mix and mash few potatoes with back of spatula to thicken the gravy.
- Lastly garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving