Lauki tamatar sabzi recipe – a healthy vegetable dish made from bottle gourd and tomatoes with few basic spices. This goes perfect with roti or paratha.
This is one of the healthy sabzi recipe that can be prepared on day to day basis. We prefer this with phulka roti or masala paratha.
Here I have made little gravy. This gravy is slightly thinner compared to other gravy recipes. If you prefer the dry version of sabzi then you can skip the addition of water in the recipe.
For the variation, you can add cubed potatoes. This makes the gravy slightly thicker. Or you can add green peas too.
This lauki tamatar sabzi recipe is no onion no garlic recipe. So this makes the complete satvik sabzi.
For making this lauki tamatar ki sabzi, make sure that your lauki has no many seeds. If the seeds are mature and tough then please remove those. If there are few seeds and they are soft and tender then you can keep.
How to make lauki tamatar sabzi?
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2) Add chopped green chilies and saute for 30 seconds.
3) Mix in chopped tomatoes. Cook them till tomatoes are soft and mushy.
4) Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
5) Mix well and cook for a minute. You will notice oil is oozing out from the sides.
6) Now add lauki and mix well. So all the masala is coated to it.
7) Add water and stir. It may look that the water quantity is less. But this is perfectly fine because lauki will leaves its own water while cooking.
8) Cover the let it cook. Do stir once or twice in between.
9) Cook till lauki is soft and tender, but not mushy. Open the lid, if it is too watery then let the water boil uncovered for few minutes.
10) Once you get desired consistency of gravy then add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
11) Lastly squeeze in fresh lemon juice.
12) Stir well and it is ready to serve.
Lauki Tamatar Sabzi Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 small Green chilies chopped finely
- 2 small or 1 cup Tomato chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups Lauki (Bottle gourd or Dudhi) peeled and cubed
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice or to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add chopped green chilies and saute for 30 seconds.
- Mix in chopped tomatoes and Cook till they are soft and mushy.
- Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Now add lauki and mix well.
- Add water and stir.
- Cover the let it cook. Do stir once or twice in between.
- Cook till lauki is soft and tender, but not mushy.
- Open the lid, if it is too watery then let the water boil uncovered for few minutes.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
- Lastly squeeze in fresh lemon juice.
- Stir well to combine.