Dahi Bhindi Recipe (Dahi wali bhindi) - Another easy to make bhindi recipe that goes well with phulka roti or paratha. Here okra are stir-fried first, so they are not slimy anymore and becomes soft and tender. Then mixed into the medium spicy, tangy yogurt based thick gravy.
The yogurt here makes the gravy slightly tangy and creamy. At home we love yogurt based dishes and so I use it in my cooking a lot. Whether it’s summer or winter, we use yogurt aka curd or dahi all day everyday. But it is beneficial to consume during the summer months because of its cooling properties.
The important thing to keep in mind while making dahi bhindi recipe, Always remove the yogurt to a bowl and whisk till smooth. Then add into the gravy to get smooth texture. NEVER add yogurt directly from the container.
Bhindi is our favorite vegetable at home, so you will find many bhindi recipes here on the blog. The Indian grocery stores are too away from our house. So I do not go there often compared to I used to before. So whenever I go, I buy big batch of okra. Then I clean, chop and store in ziplock bag in the freezer. And i use them within a month or so. Here to make dahi bhindi, I have used my frozen okra.
How to make Dahi Bhindi Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add okra and little salt.
2) Mix well and let it cook uncovered.
3) Cook till bhindi is soft and tender. As it cooks, it shrinks in size and gets darker in color. Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
4) In the same pan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Once hot add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Let them sizzle a bit.
5) Then add chopped onion, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chili.
6) Mix well.
7) Saute till onion gets light brown in color.
8) Then add chopped tomatoes.
9) Mix and continue cooking.
10) Cook till tomatoes are soft and mushy and also there is no moisture left.
11) Now add remaining salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
12) Mix well and cook for a minute.
13) Then add water to make gravy.
14) Mix well and let simmer for 3-4 minutes.
15) Now add yogurt.
16) Immediately stir to combine otherwise yogurt may curdle.
17) Now add garam masala and kasuri methi.
18) Mix well and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
19) Now add cooked okra.
20) Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes or till the bhindi gets heated through. Do not cook longer otherwise okra may get too soft and mushy.
Dahi Bhindi Recipe (How to make Dahi Bhindi Recipe) Dahi Wali Bhindi
- 2 cups Okra (Bhindi) chopped
- 2 + 1 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 Dried red chilies
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomato finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ⅓ cup Plain Yogurt (Dahi or Curd), Whisked till smooth
- ¾ cup Water
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) Crush lightly before adding
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add okra and little salt. Mix and cook uncovered till they are soft and tender. They get darker color and shrinks in size, meaning okra are cooked.
- Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
Making Dahi Bhindi Recipe:
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds and fennel seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add onion, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chili. Cook till onions get light brown in color.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft and mushy.
- Now add remaining salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Then add water and stir to make gravy. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add whisked yogurt and stir immediately to avoid curdling.
- Now mix in kasuri methi and garam masala. Again let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly add cooked bhindi and stir. Cook till everything gets heated through for about 2 minutes.
- Then turn off the stove and it is ready to serve.