Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe - a delicious south Indian snack made with leftover idli/dosa batter served with chutney. There are different names in different languages e.g. appe, puddu, ponganalu. But the recipe will be almost similar.
There are many variation in making paniyaram. We can make savory, sweet or just plain. The plain version tastes almost same as idli with crispy texture around the sides. Today we are making savory, spiced version which has onion, coconut, green chilies etc in it for more flavors.
To make these, you need special pan for this and it is called paniyaram chatti or pan. It is easily available in India. But if you are in USA, you may find something similar called Aebleskiver pan which I am using here. Those are available as non stick and cast iron both. If using cast iron one then you need to pre-season it well ahead of time before using for the first time.
These kuzhi paniyaram are made with leftover idli batter. Usually we store leftover batter in the fridge. So before making these, make sure you have taken out the batter from the fridge ahead of time and brought to room temperature. If made with cold batter then they will cook unevenly or may stay raw from center.
How to make Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
2) Then add urad dal and saute till they turn light brown in color.
3) Now add ginger paste, green chilies and curry leaves.
4) Saute for 40-50 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
5) Now add onions and sprinkle little salt.
6) Mix and cook till onions get soft and translucent.
7) Now add coconut.
8) Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes only. Then turn off the stove. Let the mixture cool down slightly.
9) Take the idli batter in a bowl. If using leftover and stored in refrigerator then make sure that it is at room temperature. You may need to remove it from the fridge ahead of time.
10) Add the onion coconut mixture to the batter.
11) Mix well.
12) Heat the paniyaram chatti on medium heat. Add a teaspoon of oil in each slot.
13) Once hot add batter to it.
14) Cover it cook till the bottom is cooked and golden brown in color. It takes around 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat.
15) Now using wooden skewers or chopsticks, flip them one by one.
16) Let the other side cook similarly.
Once done remove it to a plate and serve hot/warm.
Paniyaram Recipe (How to make Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe w/ Leftover Idli Batter)
- 2 cups Idli/Dosa batter
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 1 medium or ¾ cup Red onion chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons Coconut (fresh or frozen)
- 3-4 tablespoons Oil for cooking paniyaram
- Take out the idli/dosa batter from the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, once they pop add urad dal and saute till they turn light brown in color.
- Now saute ginger paste, green chili and curry leaves for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
- Now add onion and salt, cook till they are soft and translucent.
- Now mix in coconut and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool down slightly.
- Then add to idli/dosa batter and mix.
Making paniyaram recipe:
- Heat the paniyaram pan on medium-low heat. Add around a teaspoon of oil in each mould.
- Once hot add batter into each mould, cover it and cook for 2-3 minutes or till the bottom is golden brown in color.
- Using wooden skewers or chopsticks, flip them and cook another side for few minutes uncovered.
- Once done remove it to a plate and serve with chutney.