South Indian Tomato Chutney Recipe – This spicy, tangy chutney goes perfect with breakfasts like idli, dosa, vada, paniyaram etc.
As you know that south indian meal is incomplete without chutney or pickle on side. There are many varieties of chutney e.g with coconut, with vegetables and many times with vegetable peels.
This tomato chutney is easy to make with basic ingredients that you will always have handy in your kitchen. Apart from tomatoes, very little onion is added to add some flavor. If you want you can skip onion. It tastes good without onions too.
Always use the ripe tomatoes to make this chutney. Otherwise the chutney will become too sour, tangy. If this happens by any chance, you can balance the flavors by adding little sugar or jaggery.
This tomato chutney is really spicy. To make it less spicy cut down the amount of red and green chilies accordingly. Always discard the seeds of dried chilies which will reduce the spice level.
How to make Tomato Chutney Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add dried red chilies and saute for 30 seconds.
2) Then add sliced onion, chopped garlic and green chili along with salt.
3) Mix well and cook till onions are soft and light pink in color.
4) Then add chopped coriander leaves.
5) Mix and cook for a minute.
6) Add chopped tomatoes.
7) Mix well and let it cook till they becomes soft.
8) It took me about 5-6 minutes. Then turn off the stove and let the mixture cool down.
9) Take cooled tomato mixture into a grinder jar.
10) Blend it into smooth paste and remove it to a bowl.
11) To make tempering, heat the oil in small tadka pan. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
12) Then add dried red chili and saute for few seconds.
13) Add curry leaves and turn off the stove.
14) Add this tempering immediately to the chutney and mix.
Leftovers can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Tomato Chutney Recipe (South Indian Tomato Chutney for Dosa, Idli)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For tomato chutney recipe:
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 2 Dried red chilies (seeds and stem removed)
- ¼ cup Onion sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 Green chili chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped
- 3 medium or 2 cups Tomato chopped
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Dried red chilies
- 5-6 Curry leaves
Making tomato chutney recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, once hot add dried red chilies and saute for 30 seconds.
- Mix in onion, garlic, green chilies with salt and cook till onions get soft and translucent.
- Add coriander leaves and cook for a minute.
- Mix in tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are soft then turn off the stove.
- Once the mixture cools down, grind into smooth paste and remove it to a bowl.
- For tadka, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a small pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add dried red chili and curry leaves, saute for 30 seconds.
- Immediately add this tempering to the chutney and mix.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving