Peanut chutney recipe – creamy, delicious South Indian chutney recipe that goes perfect with idli, dosa, vada and such breakfast dish. Peanuts are also called ground nuts, hence the name groundnut chutney recipe.
As a first step here we are roasting the peanuts. By doing this peanuts releases its oil and will give nice flavor. Also it gives nice nutty aroma and taste. So do not skip this step.
Of course peanuts will make the chutney creamy. To cut down the richness and creaminess tamarind is added. It also balances the flavor.
Whenever I make any South Indian breakfast dish, I have to make some kind of chutney. I have shared many and will keep sharing different variety in future.
How to make Peanut Chutney Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Dry roast the peanuts on medium-low heat. Keep stirring or tossing then for even browning.
2) Lightly roast them till they get slight golden color on them. Remove it to plate and let it cool down. NOTE: if using peanuts which has skin then you can remove the skin by rubbing them between your palm. Or you can leave the skin on. It is up to your preference.
3) In the same pan, Heat 2 teaspoons of oil on medium heat. Once hot add onions, green chilies, garlic and curry leaves.
4) Mix and saute till onion becomes soft and translucent or light pink in color. Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool down slightly.
5) Once cooled, take peanuts and cooked onion mixture into the grinder jar. Also add salt, dry coconut and tamarind paste. Alternately you can use fresh coconut too. Add ⅓ to ½ cup of water to easier grinding.
6) Grind till it is smooth, remove it to a bowl.
7) Now to make tempering, heat the oil in a small tadka pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
8) Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
9) Now add hing.
10) And immediately add curry leaves and dried red chilies. Fry for 15-20 seconds.
11) Add this tempering to the prepared chutney right away.
12) Mix and chutney is ready to serve.
Leftover can be stored in refrigerator in airtight container for 2-3 days.
Peanut Chutney Recipe (How to make Groundnut Chutney Recipe)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For Peanut Chutney Recipe:
- ½ cup Peanuts (Groundnuts or Moongfali)
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- 2 Green chilies roughly chopped
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- 1 clove Garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Desiccated coconut Optional
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind paste or use 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind
- ½ cup Water for grinding
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 2 Dried red chilies
Making peanut chutney recipe:
Dry roast the peanuts on medium low heat till they get slight color on them. While roasting keep stirring or tossing them. Once done remove it to a plate and let it cool down slightly.
In the same pan heat 2 teaspoon of oil on medium heat. Then fry in onions, green chili, garlic and curry leaves till onions get translucent and soft.
Once cooled, take peanuts and onion mixture to a grinder or blender. Also add salt, coconut, tamarind paste and water.
Grind into smooth chutney and remove it to a bowl.
Making tempering or tadka:
Heat the oil in a small tadka pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Once they pop add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Now add hing, curry leaves and dry red chilies.
Immediately add this tadka to the chutney and mix.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving