रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Aloo Paratha Recipe with step by step photos –Whole wheat bread stuffed with spiced potato mixture. Potato stuffing can be altered as per your liking taste.
This needs no explanation. Aloo paratha is most popular paratha recipe from Punjab or North India. Spicy potato mixture is used as a stuffing for this Indian flat bread.
Aamchur or dried mango powder is used to make it slightly tangy. Alternately you can add some lemon juice.
I have shared few tips below, so don’t forget to read those.
There are many ways of making potato stuffing. This one is very easy and quick to make. Today I have made the stuffing with only potatoes and some spices.
But sometimes I do add some onion or any boiled vegetable like peas, grated carrot, beans, cauliflower, spinach.
My mom makes this different way. She saute the onion and potato mixture with turmeric and green chilies, lemon juice. She makes stuffing just like batata vada mixture. But for today’s recipe I have made typical Punjabi style Aloo paratha with boiled potatoes with some spices.
Traditionally this is a breakfast dish. But in modern lifestyle, we don’t have that much physical work. So we (at least I and hubby) can’t digest aloo in the morning. So I never make this as a breakfast or brunch. But I do make this as a dinner. Sometime I make raita to go with paratha instead of having plain yogurt.
How to make aloo paratha recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Boil the potatoes in the pressure cooker. take potatoes in the cooker. add enough water so potatoes are submerged in the water. Cook it for 2-3 whistles on medium heat. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. The number of whistles may vary. It depends on the size and type of the potatoes.
2) Remove the potatoes and let it cool to touch. Then peel the potatoes.
3) Mash the potatoes using masher. make sure to mash it well, don’t keep big chunks of potatoes. Otherwise it will be harder to roll paratha. paratha may get break.
4) Mix in green chilies, cilantro and grated ginger.
5) Add salt, amchur, garam masala, red chili powder and cumin powder.
6) Mix it well. Best way to mix is ‘use your hands’. Keep it aside.
7) Make the dough for paratha. Take atta, salt and oil in a bowl. Mix using fingertips.
8) Add little water a time and start kneading the dough.
9) Make smooth and soft dough. Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. NOTE: Make the dough while boiled potatoes are cooling. and make stuffing while dough is resting to speed up the process.
10) After 15 minutes knead the dough again one more time to make it smooth. divide it into 8 equal portions. Using your both palm, make smooth ball and then flatten it out. Also divide the potato stuffing into 8 portions.
11) Now take one flatten dough ball at time. Dip it into dry flour and roll into 3-4 inch diameter circle using rolling pin and board.
12) Put one potato ball in the center, gather the edges as shown.
13) Pinch it into the center to seal it properly.
14) flatten it using your hands very gently.
15) Again dip into dry flour and roll into 6 inch diameter round. Roll it very very gently, making perfect paratha needs practice.
16) Heat the tawa or griddle on medium heat. Once hot place the rolled paratha on it and cook for few seconds or till the you see few bubble on the top.
17) Flip it and cook other side as well. Apply some oil on the surface.
18) Flip again and cook it by pressing gently using spatula.
19) As you press it will puff up if it is rolled properly. otherwise it won’t puff but that is fine it will taste great. Again apply some oil on top and also around the edges. flip it.
20) Cook the other side as well by pressing lightly.
Remove it to insulated container or serve directly to your family member’s plate. Repeat the same process for rest of the parathas.
Serving suggestion: Traditionally the dollop of white butter or makhan is added on top. Also it is served with Yogurt (dahi or curd) and mint chutney or coriander chutney or pickle on side. It can be served with raita as well. This is breakfast recipe. But you can have it as a meal as well because aloo paratha are very filling to the stomach.
Tips for making perfect Aloo paratha recipe:
- To Make any stuffed paratha properly, dough needs to be soft and smooth. If the dough is not smooth then it will give hard time rolling. If the dough is hard (not soft) then it will break while rolling. and stuffing will come out from the edges.
- Chop the chilies and cilantro very finely.
- Also mash the potatoes well. If there are any big chunks of potato or chili, paratha will break while rolling.
- Let the stuffing cool completely before you start making the paratha.
- It is very important to fry it properly. The sides or edges of the paratha stays raw if not cooked properly. To cook the edges well, you need to drizzle some oil or ghee at all the edges around along with applying oil on surface.
- I have fried the paratha using oil, but traditional punjabi household fry the paratha with ghee (clarified butter) or butter.
- More practice makes it perfect. If making for the first time, it will break. But it should not stop you making the next one.
Aloo paratha recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For aloo stuffing:
- 500 grams Potatoes or 2 cups boiled, mashed
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- ½ inch Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
for making dough for aloo paratha recipe:
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour (chapati atta)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- salt to taste
- ¾ cup Water + few more tablespoons
- Whole wheat flour (chapati atta) little extra on side for rolling the paratha
- Oil to fry paratha
- Butter (makhan), a dollop to serve on top of paratha, optional
- Green coriander chutney or mint chutney to serve on side
- Plain yogurt (dahi or curd) to serve on side
- Boil the potatoes in the pressure cooker. take potatoes in the cooker. Add enough water so potatoes are submerged in the water.
- Cook it for 2-3 whistles on medium heat or till potatoes are soft. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
- Remove the potatoes and let it cool to touch. While it is cooling let's make the dough.
- Take atta, salt and oil in a bowl. mix well.
- Start adding little water at a time and knead into soft and smooth dough.
- Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. Meanwhile make the stuffing.
- Now potatoes are cool to handle. peel the skin.
- Mash the potatoes using masher. make sure to mash it well.
- Mix in green chilies, cilantro and grated ginger.
- Add salt, amchur, garam masala, red chili powder and cumin powder. Mix it well.
- divide it into 8 equal portions. Keep it aside.
Making aloo paratha recipe:
- After the resting time, knead the dough once again for 2-3 times to smooth it out and divide it into 8 equal portion. make smooth ball and flatten it out into disc.
- Take one flatten ball, roll into 3-4 inch diameter circle.
- Put the stuffing inside and seal it by gathering the edges into the center.
- Flatten it using hand and roll into 6 inch diameter circle. Use dry flour to make rolling easy.
- Now heat the tawa on medium to fry the paratha.
- Fry them on hot tawa using oil till both sides gave golden brown spots.
- Repeat the same process for rest of the paratha.