रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Cabbage Sabzi Recipe – Homey, healthy yet delicious side dish made with cabbage, green peas and potatoes spiced with few spices. Best served with roti or paratha.
This is Gujarati style of making cabbage sabzi. I have been grew up eating this, as my mom makes this once in a week. My mom adds some sugar in the sabzi, while I do not like sweet touch in my dishes so I have skipped it.
In Gujarati language, it is called kobi vatana bateta nu shaak. If you translate it in English then kobi=cabbage, vatana=green peas, bateta=potatoes and shaak=sabzi or dry vegetable dish.
Cabbage is known as patta gobi in Hindi. Hence this side is also called patta gobi ki sabzi.
— Cabbage (Patta Gobi): It is a kind of vegetable that cooks very quickly. Also cabbage stays fresh for weeks in refrigerator. So I always keep it in the fridge and make this sabzi whenever I am in short of time. Quickly I make cabbage sabzi and phulka, we have healthy filling meal ready. Other than this, I do make cabbage sambharo occasionally.
— Potatoes (Aloo): It is very versatile vegetable that can be paired with any other veggie. It provides body and texture to the dish.
— Green Peas (Matar): Here I have used frozen peas. Here in USA, I get the best quality frozen peas from Costco. It provides little sweetness to the dish which blends very well with cabbage. Trust me, cabbage and peas taste fantastic together.
— Curry leaves (Kadi patta): While this cabbage sabzi is cooking you will get nice aroma of curry leaves which add good flavors too. I just love this aroma. Please do not skip it.
How to make Cabbage Sabzi (Step by Step Recipe with Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, let them pop. Then add cumin seeds, let them sizzle a bit.
2) Then add curry leaves and green chilies. Sauté for 30 seconds.
3) Add asafetida and turmeric powder.
4) Immediately add cabbage, potatoes and green peas. Mix well.
5) Add salt, coriander powder, chili powder.
6) Mix well.
7) Cover the pan and cook it for 10-12 minutes or until cabbage and potatoes are cooked.
8) Stir in between to make sure that it doesn’t stick to bottom of the pan. Once potatoes are soft and tender, turn off the stove.
It is ready to serve.
- Some people like their cabbage to be little crunchy or underdone side. If you like this way then keep the potato pieces small and cook for little less time. So potatoes get cook fast and cabbage stays crunchy. But I am one of those who like their cabbage soft and cooked all the way through.
- If you are in rush then you can use food processor to chop the cabbage. But there will be a difference. If you have shredded by knife then you will have nice long shred which you won’t get using processor. But if you don’t care, go with any method.
- If you don’t like to bite into chili pieces. Add slit green chili instead of chopped one.
- Here I have used cabbage, peas and potatoes. But for variation you follow same procedure only for cabbage or cabbage-peas or cabbage-potato.
- For the variation, you can add chopped or grated carrot as well.
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 3 cups Cabbage shredded
- ½ cups Green peas
- ½ cup Potatoes cubed
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoons Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, let them pop. Then add cumin seeds, let them sizzle a bit.
Then add curry leaves and green chilies. Sauté for 30 seconds.
Add asafetida and turmeric powder.
Immediately add cabbage, potatoes and green peas. Mix well.
Add salt, coriander powder, chili powder. Mix well.
Cover the pan and cook it for 10-12 minutes or until cabbage and potatoes are cooked.
Stir in between to make sure that it doesn’t stick to bottom of the pan.
Once cooked, turn off the stove
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving