Homemade ginger garlic paste – It is an essential item to keep handy for Indian cooking. It makes cooking quick and easy.
If the recipe calls for ginger paste or garlic paste, you need to freshly grate them or mince them. This will take some time for the preparation. So always keep ginger paste and garlic paste ready in the fridge. This way you will save some time in the kitchen.
If you are regular reader of my site. You probably know that I always use ginger paste and garlic paste separately. Just because some recipe calls for only ginger or only garlic. While some calls for more ginger and less garlic or vice versa. That is the reason I usually make ginger paste and garlic paste separately instead of making ginger-garlic paste combined.
These pastes has really long shelf life if stored properly in the refrigerator. The reason behind it is addition of oil in it. Oil acts as a preservative just like it does in pickles. Also no water is added for making paste so it stays fresh for longer period of time.
How to make Ginger Paste:
Ginger paste recipe
- 4 cup Ginger chopped
- ⅓ cup Oil
- Wash the ginger very well. Pat it dry completely using kitchen towel or paper towel. It is important that there should be no moisture.
- If needed scrub them or peel them or leave the skin on. It depends on the what kind of ginger you are using. If you using young ginger which has very thin and tender skin then I do not bother peeling it. If it has tough skin then I would peel them.
- Chop into small pieces to make the grinding process easy.
- Take them into grinder and make paste out of it. Do not add any water. Push down the ginger back in between to make the process easy.
- When you are almost done, add oil and swirl it again. So it is mixed properly.
- Remove it to a glass container and store in the fridge.
How to make Garlic paste:
Garlic paste recipe
- 5 Garlic bulbs
- 5 tablespoons Oil
- Peel the garlic. Here is best way to peel garlic. Soak garlic pods in cold water for 30 minutes then peel it. The skin will come out very easily and you hands won’t be sticky at all.
- Pat them dry very well. It is important that there should no moisture in it.
- Add them to grinder or blender. Do not any water.
- Grind it into a paste. You need to push down garlic in between to help grinding properly.
- When grinding process is almost done add oil. And grind to a smooth paste.
- Store garlic paste in air-tight glass jar in refrigerator.
How to keep ginger garlic paste fresh for a long time?
- Store them in airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Always use clean and dry container for storing.
- Do not add any water while grinding. Also make sure that you wipe it dry completely after washing ginger or garlic.
- Always use clean, dry spoon to get the needed amount.
- When needed for the recipe, remove the jar from the fridge, take out required amount using clean spoon. Close the jar and put it back in the fridge immediately. Do not let the jar sit at room temperature while you are cooking the dish.
Shelf life of ginger garlic paste: It stays good for 2 months in the refrigerator if you have followed all the tips. It stays good for many months in the freezer.
How to make ginger-garlic paste:
I do not prefer to make combined paste. But many of you asking for it, so I am mentioning here. Use the same amount of ginger and garlic (meaning 1:1 ratio). Procedure will be same, grind into the paste without any water. At the end add oil and store in container.