Sambar Rice Recipe – It is also called Sambar Sadam Recipe. As the name says, here sambar and rice both cooked together and served as a meal. This recipe is from Tamil cuisine.
There is another similar dish called bisi bele bath which is from Karnataka cuisine.
Here few vegetables are added. I have used onion, tomato, carrot and green beans. You can use other veggies like drumstick, eggplant, capsicum, radish etc.
Here I have made freshly ground spice powder and later made into paste with coconut. If short on time, you can use ready sambar powder instead. But of course freshly made masala will give fresh and unique flavors.
This sambar sadam tastes too good with healthy goodness of vegetables, dal and rice in every spoon. When you are not in mood of cooking few different dishes (like dal, rice, sabzi), make this one. Quickly roast papad to go on side and you will have healthy, wholesome meal ready.
How to make Sambar Rice Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take tamarind and soak into hot water for 15-20 minutes. After that mash with fingers to get the pulp. Strain the tamarind water and discard the seeds or strings if any. Keep it aside.
2) Combine the rice and dal into pressure cooker.
3) Wash or rinse them 2-3 times using water or till water is no more cloudy.
4) Now add fresh 2 cups of water and little salt.
5) Cover it with lid, put the weight on and cook for 2-3 whistles on medium heat. Then turn off the stove, let the pressure go down by itself and open the lid.
6) Mix and mash slightly with spatula.
7) While dal-rice is pressure cooking, take wholes spices (coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, dried red chilies and fenugreek seeds) into a small pan.
8) Dry roast them with stirring constantly on medium-low heat till they are roasted and you get nice aroma of the spices. Turn off the stove, remove it to a plate and let it cool down.
9) Once cooled, grind into a powder.
10) In that add coconut and ½ cup of water.
11) Again grind it into smooth paste. Keep it aside.
12) Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
13) Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
14) Now add dried red chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 30-40 seconds.
15) Add onions and mix.
16) Cook till onions get soft and translucent or light pink in color.
17) Now add tomato, carrot and beans.
18) Mix well.
19) Also add salt and turmeric powder.
20) Mix and cook for a minute.
21) Now add ½ cup of water.
22) Cover and cook till veggies are cooked and tender. If the water dries out then you can add more water if needed.
23) Now add prepared paste.
24) Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
25) Add tamarind water and another ½ cup of water.
26) Mix and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes or till the rawness of tamarind goes away.
27) Now add mashed dal-rice.
28) Mix well and cook for 2 minutes and turn off the stove. If the mixture is too thick then adjust the consistency by adding more water.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy sambar rice as a meal with side of papadum and pickle. This tastes good even if it gets cool, so it can be packed into lunch box.
Sambar Rice Recipe (Sambar Sadam Recipe)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For pressure cooking:
- ½ cup Sona masoori rice
- ⅓ cup Arhar dal (toor dal or split pigeon peas)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Water
For spice paste:
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 6-8 Black peppercorns
- 2 Dried red chilies (Broken and stems, seeds removed)
- ¼ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- ¼ cup Coconut (fresh or frozen), grated
- ½ cup Water for grinding
For sambar sadam recipe:
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind , soaked in ½ cup of hot water
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Dried red chilies
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- ½ cup Onion chopped (or use shallots)
- ½ cup Tomato chopped
- ¼ cup Carrot chopped
- ¼ cup Green beans (French beans) chopped
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup + ½ cup Water
Preparation and pressure cooking rice-dal:
- Soak the tamarind into hot water for 20 minutes. Then get the pulp, strain.
- Wash the dal, rice with water and take into pressure cooker along with 2 cups of water and salt.
- Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on and cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Once the pressure releases naturally, open the lid and mash the mixture slightly.
- Meantime, dry roast the spices on medium-low heat for spice paste. Once roasted let the cool down.
- Once cooled, grind into powder. Then add coconut and water, again grind and make smooth paste.
Making Sambar Rice Recipe:
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Once they pop add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then saute in dried red chilies and curry leaves for 30-40 seconds.
- Add onions and saute till they are soft and translucent.
- Then mix in tomatoes, carrot, beans along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Add water, cover and cook till veggies are soft and tender.
- Now mix in prepared spice paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tamarind water along with another ½ cup of water and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Then mix in mashed dal, rice mixture and adjust the consistency by adding water if required.
- Cook for 2 minutes then turn off the stove.