Coconut milk rice recipe - This is known as Thengai Paal Sadam in Tamil language. Here basmati rice is cooked with few whole spices and coconut milk.
While making coconut milk rice, few whole spices are added into hot oil. This makes the dish aromatic and flavorful.
This rice is mild in flavors with subtle taste of coconut in it. Because of the coconut milk in it, the rice becomes slightly sticky.
Here I have added handful of green peas just to have some pop of color to the plain white rice. Many times I do make coconut milk pulao with lots of mixed vegetables. I will share that recipe some other time.
I have served it with vegetable korma. You can have it with any other gravy or dal.
Step By Step Photo Instructions:
1) Wash the rice under running cold water till water runs clear. Soak them in enough water for 15 minutes.
2) After the soaking time, discard the water and keep them in colander.
3) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add whole spices (cinnamon stick, cloves, green cardamoms). Saute for some time or till you have nice aroma of the spices.
4) Then add cashew nuts.
5) Saute with stirring constantly till cashews are lightly brown and roasted.
6) Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
7) Now add sliced onion, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chili.
8) Mix and cook till onions get translucent and soft.
9) Add green peas and salt.
10) Mix well and cook for a minute.
11) Now mix in rice.
12) Add coconut milk.
13) And also add water. Mix.
14) Squeeze few drops of lemon juice.
15) Let the mixture come to a rolling boil.
16) Then cover it with lid, lower the heat to lowest possible and cook for exactly 15-17 minutes.
17) Then turn off the stove and let it rest covered for 10 minutes. After that open the lid.
18) Fluff up the rice using fork and serve.
Did you try this coconut milk rice recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a review in the comment section below.
Coconut Milk Rice
- ½ cup Basmati rice
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 8-10 Cashew nuts
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ cup Red onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 Green chili slit
- ¼ cup Green peas
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Coconut milk (Thick)
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ teaspoon Lemon juice
- Wash and soak the rice into water for 20 minutes. The drain the water and keep rice aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Once hot add cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom. Saute for a minute.
- Then add cashews and roast till golden brown.
- Now add sliced onions, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chili. Mix and cook till onions are soft.
- Now add green peas and salt. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Now mix in rice, coconut milk, water and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Let it come to a boil. Then cover it with lid.
- LOWER the heat to lowest possible and cook for 15-17 minutes. Then turn off the stove.
- Let rest for 10 minutes without opening the lid.
- After that remove the lid and fluff up the rice using fork, serve.