WOAH! This Punjabi style Aloo Matar Gravy is done in 20 minutes (start to finish). This is made in a pressure cooker (or Instant pot) and it’s our favorite quick weeknight meal. SO EASY and QUICK!!
Below are the step-by-step photo instructions, I have shown how it’s made in a stovetop pressure cooker. And now here watch how to make instant pot aloo matar in this quick video.
Instant Pot Aloo Matar Gravy.
The original recipe was published in May 2012, over the years I have made changes to the recipe to make it better and more flavorful.
There are different names and ways to spell. E.g. aloo mutter or call it a gravy, curry or aloo matar sabji. All are the same, whatever you call it.
Today’s recipe is Punjabi style of making aloo mutter gravy. Yes, the popular, everyone’s favorite gravy version.
There is a secret ingredient to make thick gravy (not watery at all). You’ll find out below. You know, when you make things in the cooker (instant pot), many times the curry, gravy turns out thin, watery compared to the one made in a pan. Why? Because it doesn’t get enough chance to simmer. Hence, we need that secret, thickening agent. Can you spot that in the ingredients pic below?
Ingredients needed for Aloo Mutter Gravy:
Here are all the ingredients required. It looks there are many different spices used. But those are very basic Indian cooking spices. You will surely find them in your pantry.
Yes, that secret ingredient is besan (gram flour or chickpea flour). It helps to make thick, perfect gravy. Now no more water separating from the onion-tomato masala. Yay!!
How to make aloo matar recipe? (stovetop pressure cooker)
1) Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2) Then add chopped onions and sprinkle a little salt. Stir and cook till onions get soft and light brown.
3) Then add ginger paste, garlic paste, and green chilies.
4) Stir and cook for a minute or till the raw smell of ginger-garlic goes away.
5) Now add fresh tomato puree.
6) Mix and simmer till it thickens slightly.
7) Then add remaining salt, besan and spice powders (turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder).
8) Stir and cook for a minute.
9) Then add cubed potatoes and peas.
10) Add water and mix. Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on, let it cook on medium heat for 2 whistles. Let the pressure go down by itself. Then open the lid.
11) Add garam masala and crushed kasoori methi.
12) Mix well, add cilantro and serve.
It is ready to serve. If not serving right away then keep it covered. Keep in mind that, as it sits the gravy will get thicker. Because potatoes tend to absorb the liquid.
- Serve with Indian bread like roti, paratha or naan.
- It can be enjoyed with rice or jeera rice.
- I prefer to serve chaas and kachumber salad (or onion lachha) on the side.
When you are out of veggies in the fridge, I am sure you’ll have potatoes on hand. Check out other gravy dishes made with potatoes.
– Dum aloo
– Baby potato curry
– Lasaniya batata
– Batata nu rasawalu shaak
– Aloo tamatar ki sabji
– Batata bhaji
Punjabi Aloo Matar Recipe (+ Instant pot)
- 2 medium or 1 ½ -2 cups Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Green peas fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- ½ teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 2 small or ¾ to 1 cup Tomato pureed
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Besan (gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 cup Water
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) crush between your palm before adding
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. OR Turn the instant pot on saute mode and add oil.
- Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add chopped onions and sprinkle a little salt. Stir and cook till onions get soft and light brown.
- Then add ginger paste, garlic paste, and green chilies.
- Stir and cook for a minute or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
- Now add fresh tomato puree.
- Mix and simmer till it thickens slightly.
- Then add remaining salt, besan and spice powders (turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder).
- Stir and cook for a minute.
- Then add cubed potatoes and peas. Add water and mix.
- Stovetop Pressure cooker: Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on, let it cook on medium heat for 2 whistles. Let the pressure go down by itself. Then open the lid.
- Instant pot: Cook on manual (high pressure) for 2 minutes. Do QPR (quick pressure release) after 5 mins.
- Add garam masala and crushed kasoori methi.
- Mix well, add cilantro and serve.