Aloo Kathi roll recipe - rolled paratha or wrap with green chutney, potato stuffing, veg salad mix. It also known as kati roll. However you spell it, they are irresistible. It is popular street food from Kolkata.
I have used whole wheat flour to make paratha or wrap. I just wanted to make it healthy. But rolls available at street stalls or restaurants are made from all purpose flour.
These kati rolls are good as a light meal. I wouldn’t make it as a snack. As it requires different elements and it is quite lengthy process. I usually make as a dinner. 2 or 3 rolls (depending on the size) is enough per person as a meal.
The first time I tasted kathi roll was in New york city. You might know ‘Kati roll company’. yes they make the best ones and famous around here.
After that I tried to make it at home. It is not similar to that. But the way it turned out, I am very satisfied. It is spicy and delicious, the way I and hubby like it. There are few different elements in making but very easy to make at home. Try this once, I am sure you will also like it.
Traditional it is made with chunk of mutton or chicken. They are marinated in spices, arranged them on skewers and cooked (process is similar to Punjabi Paneer tikka). These cooked meat is wrapped or rolled into paratha along with sliced onions and sauce. In bengali language skewers are called as ‘kati’. Hence the name is kati roll.
But now a days, there are many variations, adaptations and innovations are taken. In vegetarian category, there are different varieties like paneer kathi roll, chana kathi roll, mixed veg kathi roll, aloo kathi roll.
How to make kathi roll recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take whole wheat flour, salt and oil in a bowl. Mix well.
2) Start adding little water at a time and knead into smooth and soft dough. Cover it and keep it aside till needed.
4) Mix well and keep refrigerated till needed. Also prepare the green chutney.
6) Add 2 tablespoons of water and make paste.
8) Then add chopped green chilies. Saute for a minute.
10) Saute for only 15-30 seconds. Otherwise spices will get burn.
12) Mix well. If it is too dry then sprinkle some water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
14) Mix well, cover and keep it aside.
16) Heat the tawa or pan on medium heat. Once hot place rolled paratha on the tawa. After few seconds, you will see few bubbles on top.
18) Flip it again and also apply some oil. Now bottom side is cooked with few brown spots.
20) Remove it to a plate and repeat the rest of the paratha same way.
22) Spread 2 teaspoons of chutney.
24) Top with prepared salad.
26) Now Gently seal it from the bottom and close it from the left and right sides. In short make a roll and keep one side open. Secure the top with toothpick, so it stays intact.
Serve immediately. Otherwise roti will get soggy. You can serve leftover salad with sprinkle of chaat masala on side.
Serving suggestion: Serve aloo kathi roll recipe as a snack or meal.
Aloo Kathi Roll Recipe (How to make Kati Rolls)
For chapati or paratha:
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta)
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Oil + more for cooking paratha
- Little more than 1/3 cup Water
For kathi roll stuffing:
- 2 small or 1 ½ cup Potatoes boiled, peeled and cubed
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Green chilies chopped finely
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mint leaves finely chopped, optional
For veg salad mix:
- 2-3 tablespoons Onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons Capsicum (Green bell pepper) sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons Carrot grated
- 2-3 tablespoons Cabbage shredded
- ½ cup Green coriander chutney
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- To make salad topping, mix onion, peppers, carrots and cabbage in a bowl and keep refrigerated
- Also prepare the green chutney, you can make a day ahead and store in the fridge.
Making aloo stuffing:
- Take dry spice powders in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of water and mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then saute in chopped green chilies for a minute.
- Now add prepared spice paste and cook for only 15-30 seconds.
- Immediately add chopped potatoes with salt and mix. If it is too dry then sprinkle some water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly mix in chopped cilantro and mint leaves.
- Turn off the stove.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl followed by oil.
- start adding little water at a time and knead into soft, smooth dough. Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After the resting time, knead once again and divide it into 6 equal portions, flatten out to make disc.
- Roll it into 5-6 inch diameter circle.
- Heat the tawa or pan on medium heat. Once hot place rolled paratha and cook by applying oil both sides till they have golden brown spots.
- Remove it to a plate and repeat the rest of the paratha same way.
Making kathi rolls recipe:
- Take one paratha on a plate and spread 2 teaspoons of chutney.
- Add warm potato stuffing in the center.
- Top with prepared salad and sprinkle chaat masala on top.
- Make a roll and keep one side open. Secure the top with toothpick, so it stays intact.
- Serve immediately.