Sookhi Moong Dal Recipe - this is dry preparation of yellow lentils. In Gujarati language, it is called mag ni chutti dal.
Sometimes it is part of special occasion meal/thali in Gujarat. This thali may also have poori, bharwa bhindi, kadhi, rice, shrikhand or basundi, khaman. My mom always (most of the time) makes this spread for guests.
Here I am making this dry moong dal in pressure cooker and here each and every lentil is separated from each other. Also they are soft, still hold the shape.
To make this dry moong dal, the water:dal ratio has to be perfect and cooking time has to be proper. If not right then you may end with mushy dal.
In North India, sookhi urad dal is made with almost similar method.
How to make sookhi moong dal recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Wash moong dal under running cold water till water runs clear. Or rinse 2-3 times till water is not cloudy anymore.
2) Soak in enough water for at least 30 minutes. After that discard the soaking water.
3) Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Now add cloves, cinnamon stick and dried red chili. Saute for 30 seconds, you will have nice arome of the spices.
4) Add soaked, drained moong dal and mix.
5) Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt.
6) Mix well.
7) Add water and stir.
8) Cover the cooker with lid. Put the weight on and cook for 2 whistles. Then turn off the stove and let the pressure go down by itself. Open the lid.
9) Fluff up and mix the dal. It should be soft, yet hold the shape (not mushy).
10) Now lastly add lemon juice and mix.
Sookhi Moong Dal Recipe (Dry Moong Dal)
- ½ cup Yellow moong dal (split and skinless)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Dried red chilies
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Wash and soak the dal for 30 minutes. Then discard the soaking water.
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. As soon as they splutter, add cloves, cinnamon and dried red chili. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add moong dal, all the spice powders and salt, mix well.
- Add water and stir.
- Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on and cook for 2 whistles.
- Once pressure releases, open the lid and fluff up the dal.
- Lastly squeeze the lemon juice, mix and serve.