Palak Moong Dal (Dal Palak Recipe) – very quick and easy to make HEALTHY recipe made from spinach and yellow moong dal (split green gram).
This dal palak recipe requires very minimal ingredients. Still it tastes very delicious and flavorful.
I do make many dal recipes which include greens like methi dal, beet greens dal, dill leaves dal. This is one good way to include green leafy vegetables in your diet. This kind of dal is perfect for those kids who do not like to eat greens as a side dish.
Please adjust the chili if making for kids.
This palak moong dal tastes best when it served with plain rice. But sometimes I like to have it as a soup as such.
How to make Moong Dal Palak recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Wash moong dal in a running cold water until water runs clear.
2) Add into pressure cooker with 1 ½ cups of water and cook it for 2 whistles on medium heat. Let the pressure go down by itself, open the cover and keep the dal aside.
3) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
4) Add ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies. Stir and cook it for 1 minute.
5) Add onions and salt. Mix well.
6) Cook them till they are light brown.
7) Add turmeric powder and red chili powder.
8) Mix well and cook for a minute.
9) Add chopped spinach.
10) Mix well. Cook it for 1 minute or till it is wilted.
11) Add cooked dal and 1 cup of water.
12) Mix well. Let it come to boil and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
13) Finally add lemon juice and mix.
14) Turn off the stove heat and serve hot.
If not serving right away then keep the pan covered to keep the dal warm for some time.
Dal Palak Recipe (Palak Moong Dal Recipe)
For pressure cooking:
- ¾ cup Yellow moong dal (split and skinless)
- 1 ½ cups Water
For Palak Dal Rrecipe:
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 2 teaspoons Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 ½ cups Spinach (palak) chopped (about 50 leaves)
- 1 cup Water
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
Boiling the dal:
- Wash moong dal in a running cold water until water runs clear.
- Add into pressure cooker with 1 ½ cups of water and cook it for 2 whistles on medium heat.
- Let the pressure go down by itself, open the cover and keep the dal aside.
Making moong dal palak recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies and cook for 1 minute.
- Mix in salt and onions, cook them till they are light brown.
- Add turmeric powder and red chili powder, mix and cook for a minute.
- Add chopped spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cooked dal and 1 cup of water.
- Mix well. Let it come to boil and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add lemon juice and mix.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot.