Veg Puff Recipe – This is Indian bakery style vegetable puff recipe with step by step photos. Here I have used store bought puff pastry sheets which gives the best texture.
This snack is our favorite. I make it very often but never got a chance to share it here. During my college days, me and my friends have eaten vegetable puffs at different places on the way back home from college. And this recipe is exact same as those bakery style puffs.
For the stuffing, I have used onion, potatoes, peas and carrot with few spice powders. These vegetables combo makes perfect tasting stuffing. But if making for kids who do not like to eat their vegetables, you can hide those veggies in the stuffing and they will never know. You can use cauliflower, beans, broccoli, beetroot, corn, baby corn, mushroom etc.
Two important points to keep in mind to get the BEST, PERFECT flaky, layered and puffy pastry texture after baking.
- Use the cold puff pastry. Meaning it should not be at room temperature where butter inside the sheet starts to soften. The soften sheet will not puff up that nicely compared to cold, chilled one. While shaping, if it may starts to soften, pop it into the fridge for sometime, let it chill and then bake.
- Always cool the stuffing completely. Even the warm stuffing will ruin it. The warm stuffing will soften the butter and then sheet and we don’t want that.
NOTE: if you eat eggs, then beat one egg. Brush the mixture on top of veg puff before baking. This gives very deep golden brown color.
How to make veg puff recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Preparation: Boil the potato, peas and carrot in pressure cooker or microwave or You can steam them too.
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2) Then add chopped onions, green chilies and grated ginger.
3) Mix well and cook
4) saute till onions get light brown in color and becomes soft.
5) Now add chopped potatoes, peas and carrot.
6) Mix well and do mash the mixture slightly while mixing using back of spatula. Cook for 1-2 minutes. If the vegetables has too much moisture then cook till it becomes dry.
7) Then add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala.
8) Mix well and cook for a minute.
9) Lastly add lemon juice.
10) Mix well, taste and see if more salt, spices or lemon juice is required or not. And adjust accordingly. Let the mixture cool down completely.
11) Now remove the puff pastry sheets from freezer and thaw as mentioned in the packet. Here I am using pepperidge farm brand sheets and it took me around 30 minutes to get thawed at room temperature.
12) Also preheat the oven to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C for 10-15 minutes.
13) Now unfold the sheet carefully, if it is still frozen or hard then it will get break.
14) Cut into 4 pieces using knife.
15) Now cut a square cheese slice into triangle and put on each piece. If you like more cheesey then you can use whole slice. Or you can skip the cheese entirely.
16) Now put around 2-3 tablespoons of stuffing mixture on top of cheese.
17) Now apply the water or milk on all four edges using brush or fingers. This will help to seal the sides.
18) Now fold and make triangle. Using fingers press the sides to seal it.
19) Now using fork make design and also it helps to seal it again. Otherwise it may open up while baking.
20) Do the same for all puffs.
21) Arrange them on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper.)
22) Bake into pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or till it puffs up and becomes golden brown.
Once baked, let the veg puffs cool for 5 minutes in the pan or on the cooling rack then serve.
Veg Puff Recipe (How to make Vegetable Puff Recipe, Bakery style)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 Puff pastry sheets (store bought 1 packet)
- 4 slices Cheese optional
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 1 Green chili finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 ½ cups or or 2 medium Potatoes Boiled, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup Green peas boiled or steamed
- ¼ cup Carrot chopped and boiled or steamed
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Boil or steam the potatoes, peas and carrot.
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat then add cumin seeds, let them sizzle a bit.
- Now mix in chopped onion, green chili and grated ginger. Cook till onions get light brown in color and becomes soft.
- Add cooked potatoes, peas and carrot. Mix and mash slightly.
- Now add salt and all the dry spices, mix and cook for a minute. If the mixture has too much moisture then cook for some more time till it gets dry.
- Lastly mix in lemon juice. Remove it to a plate and let it cool down completely.
Making Vegetable Puff Recipe:
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets as per the package instruction.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Unfold the thawed sheet and cut into 4 square pieces.
- Take one cheese slice and cut into half by making triangle shape and put that triangle on one square piece.
- On top put 2-3 tablespoons of stuffing mixture.
- Apply milk or water using brush or finger on all four sides and fold it, seal it using fingers. Then seal it again using fork.
- Arrange them on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake into preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or till becomes golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes and then serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving (= 1 puff)