Today’s recipe is capsicum curry recipe. This is my go to curry recipe. I also make aloo shimla mirch dry subzi with roti. I usually make this curry once a week and it’s my husband’s favorite. We had this curry in yesterday’s lunch with plain paratha and sliced onions w/lemon drops on side. And as always, after the lunch I drink a glass of water with lemon juice and pinch of salt. This helps in easy digestion.
This green bell pepper curry is bit of creamy because we added nuts powder in it. It is quite healthy as we are not using any cream or milk to make it creamy and rich. So that’s why you can have it in everyday basis.
If you do not prefer that spicy then you can adjust the green chilies and red chili powder as per you liking taste. I like to have capsicum lit bit crunchy. So I have not cooked it all the way. But you can cook as per you and your family’s preference.
Step by step recipe for Capsicum curry:
1) Dry roast the peanuts and cashew nuts on medium heat till they get light brown.
2) Let them cool completely and grind it into fine powder.
3) Take onion, tomato, green chili, ginger, garlic, green chili and coriander seeds in a blender.
4) Make smooth gravy out of it without adding any water.
5) Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cubed capsicum.
6) Cook them till they are done 70%. Rest of cooking will be done in gravy. Remove them in a bowl.
7) Heat the same pan again with 3 teaspoons of oil on medium heat. Once hot add bay leaf, cloves and cumin seeds. Let cumin seeds sizzle.
8) Then add onion-tomato gravy. Mix well.
9) Cook till all the moisture from gravy evaporates. And the oil will start to leaves from the gravy. Then add salt and red chili powder. Mix and cook for a minute.
10) Add 1 ¼ cups of water. Mix it well. Let it come to a boil.
11) Sprinkle nuts powder.
12) Mix it.
13) Add cooked capsicum.
14) Mix it and let it cook for about 3 minutes. (Adjust water as per your liking gravy consistency.)
15) And lastly add garam masala.
16) Mix well and switch of the stove. It is ready to serve.
This Punjabi style capsicum masala curry is really delicious. If you like the capsicum then I am sure you will love this curry. I bet that once you try this curry, you will fall in love with this. So get in kitchen and make this yummy curry for today’s lunch or dinner.
Here is Punjabi Capsicum Masala Curry recipe:
- Peanuts – 1 tablespoon
- Cashew nuts – 1 tablespoon
- Onion – 1 medium (1 cup), chopped roughly
- Tomatoes – 1 ½ medium (1 ¼ cups), chopped roughly
- Ginger – ½ inch piece
- Garlic – 2 large cloves
- Green chilies – 3 or to taste
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 teaspoons +1 teaspoon
- Capsicum (green bell pepper) – 1 large (1 ½ cups), cut into cubes
- Bay leaf -1
- Cloves – 3
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1¼ cups or more or less as per your desire gravy consistency
- Heat the pan on medium heat. Dry roast the peanuts and cashew nuts till they get light brown.
- As they cool grind it into fine powder.
- Make smooth gravy from gravy ingredinets.
- Cook the cubed capsicum in 1 teaspoon of oil on medium heat till they are done 70%. Rest of cooking will be done in gravy. Remove them in a bowl.
- Heat the same pan again with 3 teaspoons of oil on medium heat. Once hot add bay leaf, cloves and cumin seeds. Let cumin seeds sizzle.
- Then add onion-tomato gravy. Mix well. Cook till all the moisture from gravy evaporates. And the oil will start to leaves from the gravy.
- Mix in salt and red chili powder, cook for a minute.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water. Mix it well. Let it come to a boil.
- Stir in nuts powder.
- Add cooked capsicum. Mix it and let it cook for about 3 minutes. (Adjust water as per your liking gravy consistency.)
- Finally add garam masala. Mix well and switch off the stove.
Shelf life – I prefer to serve it fresh the day its made. But you can keep in refrigerator in air tight container once cooled completely for 3 days.
Serving suggestions – my family like to have it with paratha or roti and sliced onions w/lemon drops on side. You can also have it with plain rice or jeera rice