Dal fry is popular restaurant favorite. Ghee is used for tampering which give nice richness to this dal dish. More ghee you use, more flavorful it becomes. I used masoor dal and moong dal combination (same as author). It is very quick and easy to make. It is best accompaniment for roti or paratha or plain rice or jeera rice (my favorite). So get in your kitchen and make this dal fry. Enjoy yourself or with family.
Here’s the handy dandy printable:
- Spit masoor dal – 1 cup
- Split moog dal (skinless) – ¼ cup
- Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 2, slit
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1/8 teaspoon
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Nigella seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Dry red chili – 1
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Combine both dals and wash them in running cold water until water runs clear.
- In a pressure cooker, take washed dal, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chilies, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt. Add 3 cups of water and mix.
- Close the pressure cooker. Put the whistle on. Turn on the heat on medium and cook it for 2 whistles. Let the pressure go down by itself
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and nigella seeds. Let them pop. Then add dry red chili. Let it cook for 30 seconds. Then add chopped onions. Sauté them till they become translucent.
- Add tomatoes and sauté those till tomatoes become soft. It will take about 3 minutes. Then add red chili powder and cooked dal. Mix well. Bring the dal to a boil. Let it cook for 1 minute. Adjust the salt. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot.