I am so excited to share falooda recipe with you guys today. This is my most favorite recipe that I make it in summer whenever I crave for some dessert. How can I forget that it is also dear hubby’s favorite dessert.
Falooda is a recipe from Pakistan. It is rose flavored milk dessert with basil seeds, sev and ice cream topping. You need to plan some elements like soaking sabja seeds and boiling-chilling milk ahead of time while making falooda. But all the effort is worth when you enjoy a glass of falooda. And yes making it at a home is also cheap.
Falooda comes in between category of beverage and dessert. But I prefer to call it as a dessert. This is little heavy if you consider it a beverage. And most important that you have to eat 80% falooda with spoon so I call it a dessert.
Cuisine – Pakistani, Indian
Recipe category – Beverage, dessert
Skill level – Easy/Beginner
- Basil seeds – 1 ½ teaspoons **Notes
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Falooda Sev – handful **Notes
- Rose Syrup – 2 tablespoons **Notes
- Ice cream – 2 scoops
- Pistachios – few, chopped for garnishing
- Rose petals – few, for garnishing (optional)
- Basil Seeds – also known as Sabja seeds or Tukamria. You need to soak them for at least 30 minutes. More soaking time do not hurt. Even you can keep refrigerated soaked sabja seeds up to a day. And after 30 minutes it swells up water and become like this (shown below.) it creates gel like layer around it.
- Falooda Sev – if you are familiar to falooda then you know what is falooda sev. But for those who does not know, I took a picture of the falooda sev packet for your reference. I bought it from Indian grocery store. And Inside the packet sev are light yellow in color.
- Rose Syrup – I have used Rooh afza because I have it in my pantry so I did not bother to buy rose syrup. You can use any.
- Soak basil seeds in the water for at least 30 minutes. After 30 minutes drain them.
- Meanwhile take milk and sugar in the pan. Let it come to a boil on medium heat. And then lower the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Then chill it in the refrigerator.
- Make the falooda sev as per package instruction. How I did – take some water in a pan, let it come to a rolling boil. Add falooda sev, let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Drain it and rinse it with cold water immediately. This is how it looked when cooked.
- Now everything is ready, soaked basil seeds, chilled milk and sev. Let’s assemble the falooda.
- Take two glasses. Add basil seeds to it.
- Then on top add cooked falooda sev.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of rose syrup in each glass.
- Pour the milk in it. Some basil seeds will float on top.
- Then add a scoop of ice cream.
- Garnish it with chopped pistachios and rose petals.
- Serve immediately.
Taste – Sweet, cooling with rose flavors
Shelf life – must be served immediately. But you can prepare different elements (like soaking basil seeds, boiling milk, cooking sev) ahead of time. Keep it refrigerated and assemble right before serving.
Serving suggestions – Serve as a dessert.
So what are you waiting for? Note down the needed ingredients and buy it next grocery trip and make delicious falooda this weekend. Enjoy with your family.