Falooda Recipe – very delicious and yummy beverage cum dessert that is flavored with Rose syrup. Key ingredients are sabja seeds (aka basil seeds), vermicelli aka falooda sev, sweetened milk and ice cream.
I am so excited to share falooda recipe with you guys today. This is my most favorite recipe that I make it in summer whenever I crave for some dessert. How can I forget that it is also dear hubby’s favorite dessert? Yes it is heavy and really indulging dessert. But yeah once in a while I do make it. Even recently I made Mango falooda.
My next goal is to make falooda sev at home. FYI, falooda sev is made from corn starch or corn flour and water. If you are familiar to falooda then you know what falooda sev is. But for those who does not know, here is the photo of raw falooda sev from store bought packet on left while cooked and drained falooda sev on right. I bought it from Indian grocery store and you can see sev are yellow in color.
Other interesting ingredient is falooda seeds aka sabja seeds, basil seeds, tukmaria. You need to soak them for at least 30 minutes. More soaking time do not hurt. Even you can keep refrigerated soaked sabja seeds up to a day. And after 30 minutes it swells up water and creates gel like layer around it. Below left is sabja seeds and right is soaked seeds after 30 minutes. Please continue reading here more about basil seeds, if you are interested in health benefits of it.
You need to plan some elements like soaking sabja seeds and boiling-chilling milk ahead of time while making falooda. But all the effort is worth when you enjoy a glass of falooda. And yes making homemade falooda is also cheap.
Falooda comes in between category of beverage and dessert. But I prefer to call it as a dessert. This is little heavy if you consider it as a beverage. And most important that you have to eat 80% falooda with spoon so I call it a dessert.
So what are you waiting for? Note down the needed ingredients and buy it next grocery trip and make delicious falooda this weekend. Enjoy with your family.
Here is Homemade Falooda Recipe:
- Basil seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Milk – 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Falooda Sev – handful
- Rose Syrup – 2 tablespoons
- Ice cream – 2 scoops
- Pistachios – few, chopped for garnishing
- Rose petals – few, for garnishing (optional)
- Soak basil seeds in the water for at least 30 minutes. After 30 minutes drain them.
- Meanwhile take and sugar in the pan. Let it come to a boil on medium heat. And then lower the heat and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes. Then chill it in the refrigerator. Milk becomes little thick.
- Make the falooda sev as per package instruction. How I did – take some water in a pan, let it come to a rolling boil. Add falooda sev, let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Drain it and rinse it with cold water immediately to stop further cooking. using kitchen scissors, cut them into approx 1 inch pieces, so it will easier to eat later.
- Now everything is ready, soaked basil seeds, chilled milk and sev. Let’s assemble the falooda.
- Take two glasses. Add basil seeds to it.
- Then on top add cooked falooda sev.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of rose syrup in each glass.
- Pour the milk in it. Some basil seeds will float on top.
- Then add a scoop of ice cream.
- Garnish it with chopped pistachios and rose petals.
- Serve immediately.
Shelf life – must be served immediately. But you can prepare different elements (like soaking basil seeds, boiling milk, cooking sev) ahead of time. Keep it refrigerated and assemble right before serving.
Serving suggestions – Serve as a dessert.