रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Kadai paneer gravy recipe – a restaurant style paneer dish . Paneer cubes are simmered in spicy, slightly tangy, delicious yet VERY EASY to make gravy mixed with freshly ground masala.
The name “Kadai Paneer” comes from the utensil used for making this dish. and that is Kadai meaning ‘Indian wok’. This is essential in Indian cooking. Almost every household uses kadai for day to day cooking. Just for the photo purpose I have used non-stick pan.
The restaurants serve two kind of kadai paneer. Many serve kadai paneer with gravy. The one I shared here today. Many serve semi-dry version (a subzi kind). I will share that in future. Both tastes fantastic on its own. Its all about the preferences.
Always use ripe tomato. Unripe and sour tomatoes makes tangy gravy.
As I said here we are adding chopped tomatoes. So as it gets soft, mash them with spatula. It makes thick gravy. Otherwise the water and tomatoes stay separated. To avoid that also simmer for good 5 minutes after adding water and capsicum. When the curry is served in the plate. Water is separating from gravy and running in the plate. I hate it when this happens.
The kadai masala is freshly ground here. and it is made from coriander seeds and dried red chilies. As always freshly ground masala makes the dish very aromatic.
The bright red color of the gravy comes from red tomatoes and dried red chilies.
Here I have not added extra red chili powder. the dried chilies were spicy enough for me. So taste the curry and adjust the spice level.
How to make kadai paneer recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Dry roast the coriander seeds and dried chilies on medium heat. Keep stirring constantly. As it toasted you will get nice aroma of coriander seeds. also chillies will get darker in color. Remove it to a plate or bowl and let it cool completely. NOTE: I have broke the chilies and removed the seeds to reduce the spice level. Seeds and stems of the chilies are not good for your body (my MIL says that).
2) Once cooled, grind into a powder using spice grinder or coffee grinder.
3) In the same pan heat the oil on medium heat. Once hot add chopped onions. Sprinkle some salt to speed up the process.
4) Cook them till it gets translucent.
5) Add garlic paste. Alternately you use freshly grated garlic.
6) Mix and cook for 35-40 seconds. or till the raw smell goes away.
7) Add ground spice powder.
8) Stir and saute for a minute.
9) Add chopped tomatoes and remaining salt.
10) Mix well and let it cook.
11) It will start to leave its water and will get soften. Keep mashing the soften tomatoes with back of the spatula.
12) As it cooks, all the moisture will evaporates. it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
13) Then add pureed tomato.
14) Mix it well. Instead you can use 2 tablespoons of store bought tomato puree for brighter color.
15) stir in garam masala and kasoori methi.
16) Cook till again it leave the sides. And oil should ooze out.
17) Add 1 cup of water or as required to make gravy consistency. Add capsicums. Cook for 4-5 minutes, so it gets cooked.
18) Add paneer. stir gently so paneer cubes does not break.
19) Finally add cream.
20) Stir well and let comes a boil. Then turn of the gas heat. If you like sprinkle some chopped cilantro.
Serving suggestion: Serve this kadai paneer gravy with paratha, naan or kulcha. Also have some kachumber salad or onion lachha (sliced onions w/ drizzle of lemon juice) on side. Sometimes I do serve salted chaas or masala chaas on side.
Kadai paneer recipe (Kadai paneer gravy recipe)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
To dry roast and grind into kadai masala:
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
- 4 Dried red chilies broken and seeds removed
For kadai paneer recipe:
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 2 ½ cups Tomato finely chopped
- 1 Tomato pureed
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) cubed
- 7 oz or 200 grams Paneer cut into cubes
- 3-4 tablespoons Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream or malai
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
Making kadai masala:
Dry roast the coriander seeds and dried chilies on medium heat with stirring constantly.
- As it toasted you will get nice aroma of coriander seeds. also chillies will get darker in color.
- Remove it to a plate or bowl and let it cool completely.
Then grind into a powder using spice grinder or coffee grinder.
Making kadai paneer gravy recipe:
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add onions and sprinkle little salt, cook till onions get soft and translucent.
Then mix in garlic paste and cook for 30 seconds or till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
Now add prepared kadai masala and cook for a minute.
Mix in chopped tomatoes and remaining salt, cook till they get soft and mushy, Do mash them using back of spatula as it gets soft.
Now add pureed tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Mix in garam masala and kasuri methi along with 1 cup of water to get gravy consistency and bring it to a simmer.
Add capsicums and cook for 4-5 minutes, so it gets cooked.
Add paneer and mix gently and simmer for 2 minutes.
lastly mix in cream and cook for a minute. Then turn off the stove.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving