An easy and the BEST vegan zucchini bread recipe I have ever tried. Have a bite of this fluffy, super moist, delicious bread and you will never realize it has green vegetable in it.
Is vegan zucchini bread healthy?
Back in the days (I meant in 70’s), when baked goodies made with vegetables and used oil instead of butter, was considered healthy. But in today’s trend, people do not consider it healthy. Because it has white flour, sugar and fat in it.
But this vegan zucchini bread can be considered a little healthy because we are using whole wheat flour. And you know wheat flour is healthy vs white flour.
Does vegan zucchini bread tastes like zucchini?
Zucchini itself has mild delicate flavor, so it does not add a lot of flavor in the bread. However, it gives lovely moist texture to the bread.
So basically NO, it does not taste like zucchini at all. Along with sweetness it tastes cinnamon-ey as I have added ground cinnamon and little nutmeg in the batter.
Also the addition of toasted coconut shreds and walnuts add some crunch and texture. Though you can skip them. Or you can use chocolate chips instead.
How to grate zucchini for zucchini bread?
Few things to know before grating the zucchini: no need to peel the zucchini and no need to take out the seeds. Because we are keeping the skin, you will see pretty green shreds are running through the bread
For the vegan zucchini bread, I like to use box grater (medium shred size). Wash and pat dry the zucchini. Since we are keeping the skin, make sure that you remove all the dirts. Now cut both ends. Set the box grater on a plate or cutting board and start shredding.
You can use food processor instead.
Sometimes, I get ton of zucchini from friend’s garden. That time I shred them ahead of time and freeze the portions in freezer safe Ziploc bag in the freezer to use later in making zucchini bread. You keep the shredded zucchini in the refrigerator and use within 2-3 days (do not use collected water at the bottom, discard that).
How to make easy vegan zucchini bread? (Step by step photos)
1) In a bowl, take whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
2) Using wire whisk, mix till everything is incorporated well.
3) In another bigger bowl, take oil, applesauce, white sugar, brown sugar.
4) Beat it well using whisk. Also beat in vanilla extract.
5) Now add shredded zucchini.
6) Mix well.
7) Add dry ingredients mixture.
8) Switch to spatula and fold the flour mixture into wet just till everything is well combined. Make sure not to over-mix otherwise bread will be tough.
9) Lastly add toasted walnuts and shredded coconut.
10) Fold them in the batter.
11) Pour the batter into the grease 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and bake into preheated (350 degrees F or 180 degrees C) oven for 60-65 minutes. Or till the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
12) Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then loosen the sides using butter knife and remove it to a wire rack and let it cool down completely.
The vegan zucchini bread is slightly crumbly compared to regular version. So always let it cool down completely and then slice using sharp sandwich knife.
How to store vegan zucchini bread?
- It can be stored in airtight container for 2 days at room temperature.
- You can wrap the individual slices using plastic wrap and keep in freezer safe ziploc bag. Store in the freezer. It stays good for couple of months.
Easy Vegan Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 1 ½ cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg (Freshly grated or ground)
- ½ cup Oil (any flavorless oil like avocado oil, canola oil, safflower oil, corn oil or vegetable oil)
- ½ cup Unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup White sugar
- ¼ cup Light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Zucchini shredded (loosely packed)
- ⅓ cup Walnuts roasted and chopped
- ⅓ cup Coconut (Unsweetened and shredded), lightly roasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C for at least 10 minutes.
- Lightly roast the walnuts in a skillet/pan on stove top with stirring constantly. Let it cool down and chop them.
- Similarly next roast the shredded coconut till they are lightly golden brown. Remove it from the pan to avoid burning and extra roasting.
- Instead of roasting them in a pan, both can be toasted in the preheated oven for around 5-7 minutes.
- Grease the 9x5x3 inch loaf pan using oil or use the non stick oil spray.
- Grate the zucchini using box grater or food processor.
Making vegan zucchini bread recipe:
- Whisk all the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.
- In a separate bigger bowl, add oil, both sugar (white and brown), applesauce and vanilla. Whisk well till incorporate well.
- Now add add shredded zucchini and mix.
- Add dry ingredients mixture to the wet. And fold it in using spatula. Do not overmix, fold till everything comes together.
- Now add walnuts and coconut, fold them in.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-65 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the zucchini bread cool down in a pan for 10 minutes, then loosen the sides using butter knife and remove it to a wire rack.
- Let it cool down completely and then slice using sharp knife.