This paneer biryani is an incredibly flavorful and perfectly filling recipe. I am sure you’ll want this in your lunch/dinner menu again and again! It’s so easy to make and will be ready under 1 hour!
This paneer dum biryani is one of those meals that everyone in the family can agree on. It is good for adults and kids since it is high protein meal and also delicious enough to satisfy your hunger.
When you get a bowl of warm biryani and raita, it’s just straight up delicious cozy comfort food.
The good thing about biryani dishes that it is made in big batch. You know you can’t make biryani for 2 servings. So you will have leftovers for lunch. I always love when I have lunches ready for reheat.
There are many different verities of vegetarian and non-veg biryanis made. Few of them I shared here on the blog.
As the name of the recipe says, it is dum cooked meaning everything is slow cooked together. This method of cooking gives very flavorful and aromatic results. Yum!!
Every region has their own version of making paneer biryani where different spices and ingredients are used. This is hyderabadi paneer biryani recipe which you always find in Indian restaurants.
Ingredients needed for paneer dum biryani recipe:
- Homemade paneer or store-bought
- Long grain basmati rice
- Whole spices - green cardamoms, black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, star anise, cumin seeds
- Yogurt – used for marinating the paneer
- Spice powders - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, biryani masala, fennel seeds powder,
- Fresh produce – onion, tomato, bell pepper
- Fresh herbs – cilantro and mint
- Heavy cream
How to make Paneer Dum Biryani Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1)Wash the rice under running cold water till water runs clear or rinse 2-3 times till water is not cloudy anymore. Then soak in enough water for 20 minutes.
2) To make paneer marinade, take yogurt, salt and all the marinade spices (turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, fennel seeds powder, biryani masala, crushed
3) Mix well.
4) Add paneer cubes and mix to coat the marinade to cubes. Keep it aside until needed. You can marinade ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator.
5) Now discard the soaking water from the rice. In a saucepan, bring water to rolling boil for cooking rice. Once it starts boiling add salt.
6) Then add whole spices (green cardamoms, black cardamoms, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cloves, star anise).
8) Now drain the water using
9) Now heat 2 tablespoons of oil a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cashews and almonds. Fry with stirring constantly till they are golden brown.
10) Then remove it to a plate by draining excess oil.
11) In the same oil add sliced onion to make
12) Fry till onions are golden brown in color. Be careful not to burn them. Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
13) In the same pan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
14) Then add onion, capsicum, ginger, garlic paste
15) Then add tomato puree and stir well.
16) Cook till all the water evaporates.
17) Then add turmeric powder and biryani masala.
18) Mix well and cook for 30-40 seconds.
18) Now lower the heat and add marinated paneer.
19) Mix well, add ¼ cup of water and bring to a simmer. Now do not simmer for
20) Sprinkle half of chopped cilantro and mint leaves.
21) Then spread the partially cooked rice, drizzle cream+saffron mixture and then drizzle the ghee over the layer.
22) On top, sprinkle fried cashews, almonds, fried onion and remaining cilantro, mint leaves.
23) Cover it with lid or plate (thali). Put the weight on so steam cannot escape. Alternately you can layer aluminum foil between pan and lid.
24) Keep the gas flame lowest possible. And cook for 15-20 minutes.
25) When ready to serve, open the lid, lightly mix and serve.
What to serve with paneer biryani?
- Serve a bowl of raita on the side. Few options are onion tomato raita, mint raita,
boondiraita, spinach raita, cucumber raita, capsicum raita.
- Also, have roasted urad papad on the side for some crunch.
- Even it tastes good without any sides.
Check out more paneer recipes
Paneer Biryani Recipe (Hyderabadi Paneer Dum Biryani)
For marinating paneer:
- 7 oz or 200 grams Paneer cut into cubes
- ½ cup Plain yogurt thick
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) crushed to make powder
- 1 teaspoon Biryani masala or garam masala
- Salt to taste
For cooking rice:
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 4 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 2 Black cardamoms
- 4 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Star anise
For paneer biryani recipe:
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 6-7 Cashew nuts broken
- 6-7 Almonds halved
- 1 cup Onion sliced (for making birista, fried onion) OR use ½ cup store bought fried onions)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ cup Onion cut into cubes
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 small Green chili finely chopped
- ½ cup Tomato pureed
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Biryani masala or garam masala
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream or malai or Milk
- 4-5 strands Saffron dissolved into warm cream or milk
- ¼ cup Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- ¼ cup Mint leaves chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified butter)
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 15-20 minutes.
- Take yogurt, salt and all marinade spices in a bowl and mix.
- Add paneer cubes and coat them well and let it marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Warm up the heavy cream or milk in a microwave or stove top. Add saffron strands and let it infuse its color and flavor.
Cooking rice for paneer biryani:
- Bring the water to rolling boil on medium-high heat.
- Then add salt, whole spices, and rice.
- Cook for exactly 5 minutes or till rice is partially cooked only 80%.
- Drain the water, spread the rice in a plate and discard the whole spices.
Making Paneer Biryani Recipe:
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan on medium heat. Fry cashews and almonds in oil till they are golden brown. Remove it to a plate.
- In the same oil fry sliced onions till golden brown and remove it to a plate.
- Add remaining oil in the same pan. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add onion, bell pepper, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chili, and salt. Cook till onions start to soften and become translucent.
- Add tomato puree and cook till all the moisture evaporates and becomes dry.
- Add turmeric powder and biryani masala, mix and cook for few seconds.
- Lower the heat and add marinated paneer and ¼ cup of water. Bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped cilantro and mint leaves.
- Next add the layers of rice, cream saffron mixture, and drizzle ghee. Then sprinkle fried cashews, almonds, onions and remaining cilantro, mint leaves.
- Cover with the lid put the weight on or place aluminum foil between lid and pan. So steam cannot escape.
- Cook on lowest possible heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Lightly mix and serve.